News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

Dropping net connection speed

Started by andyap, July 28, 2006, 08:47:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyap

When I first log on wirelessly with my ZT3000 Custom build it indicates that my connection speed is 54mbs. But that speed continues to drop to 36 than to 24 and even down to 1mpbs. It never gets back to speed. I have installed a new cable modem but the problem still exists. It's not my router either as I have two other ZT3000's in the family and they don't have the problem.

Any suggestions as to how I can fix mine?

kf_man

Do you have the latest wireless drivers for the card?  What kind of wireless card is it?  Do all of the laptops have the same wireless card?  You can get new drivers from the HP site or from Intel direction, just search for "Intel ProSET Wireless download" in Google.  That speed indication is not realistic in that it's not measuring the current speed, it's just estimating what the possible connection speed would be based on the current connection status.  It's basically just saying that you are capable of reaching that speed.  The speed should not keep dropping as you have described it, so please upgrade the drivers and report back.

andyap

Thanks for the tip on loading up the latest drivers. I'll do that and report back!

andyap

I downloaded a new driver and installed. Still, the speed drops from 54mbps down to 1mbps in about 10 minutes and never rises.

I can get back to 54 by "repairing the connection" but then the cycle starts all over again.

It's an OEM wireless card. Should I try switching from Windows zero config?

Thanks for your help.

bili_39

try changing the power managment settings for the card.

Computer managemenet / Wireless adapter / advance / look for power manag. option and adjust toward better performance or disable.

andyap

Thanks. I'll try it. Changing from windows zero config to Intel proset management didn't help either

alden

if you have another two ZT3000 in your family running smoothly, try to change wifi card.  It might be a  reason.
It takes a minute to take the card out.

andyap

Thanks for the tip! But I now find that the droppng speed is happening with the other machines too!

kf_man

What router or AP are you using, maybe it could be that?  Try the latest firmware for the router and try to change the channel.  Sometimes other devices in the area can contribute to connection problems.