News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

Harddisk problem

Started by makeagoodday, July 20, 2005, 11:40:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

makeagoodday

After 1.5 years, my X1000 started troubling me as warned by some people on the old forum. It's not the video card problem, but a harddisk one.

In particular, I installed a new 7k60 harddisk about 6 months ago and recently it becomes unstable. Sometimes it blue-screens my OS and then BIOS self-testing reports "1782-Harddisk controller failure".  The harddisk can not be found at all. But if I leave it alone for a while, it might boot smoothly again. So I thought it's due to the hot temperature.  But sometimes it may crash again after just working for 2 minutes and report same error message. Fnally I removed the harddisk and just unscrew-then-screw the screws, then put it back, my X1000 worked again.

I am really frustrated since I don't know when the same problem will occure again. I am just wondering if anyone here has similar problem with his/her harddisk and welcome any possible solution. Thank you.

BTW, is the harddisk controller on the motherboard or harddisk? I really don't want to replace motherboard if the harddisk controller becomes dead.

kf_man

I have heard reports of similar happenings, but on a much smaller scale than the video card.  From my memory, there have only been a few reports of this issue and I don't explicitly remember a solution to it.  If someone else knows the solution, maybe they can help.  In answer to your last question, the hard disk controller is built into the motherboard and not very easily replaced (you have to replace the whole motherboard).  I would just see how far you can go like that.  I do know that another motherboard is about $300 from HP so if it comes down to that, you will need to see what you feel is the best course of action.  From what I have seen with every laptop (I work at an IT Help Desk), it's never a bad idea to have a three-year warranty.  It can be expensive initially, but for $179 up front I'm covered for three full years.  It doesn't help you now, but it's good to remember in the future.  Good Luck and welcome to the forum!

makeagoodday

Thanks.

It seems my "solution" works quite well  up to now. I wish the problem had gone forever   :)

Quote from: kf_manI have heard reports of similar happenings, but on a much smaller scale than the video card.  From my memory, there have only been a few reports of this issue and I don't explicitly remember a solution to it.  If someone else knows the solution, maybe they can help.  In answer to your last question, the hard disk controller is built into the motherboard and not very easily replaced (you have to replace the whole motherboard).  I would just see how far you can go like that.  I do know that another motherboard is about $300 from HP so if it comes down to that, you will need to see what you feel is the best course of action.  From what I have seen with every laptop (I work at an IT Help Desk), it's never a bad idea to have a three-year warranty.  It can be expensive initially, but for $179 up front I'm covered for three full years.  It doesn't help you now, but it's good to remember in the future.  Good Luck and welcome to the forum!

kf_man

Did you manage to get your harddisk problem figured out?  I read your other post, but it wasn't clear whether the solution has been working.  I'm just curious to get an update on the problem.

makeagoodday

Sorry for late reply.

Actually I am not very sure whether the problem has gone, though my X1000 works quite well so far since last harddisk failure.

My "solutions" are just

(1) Remove the harddisk part and reassemble it (not the harddisk itself) to make sure all fit in place correctly.
(2) Keep the fan always on to make the temperature's the harddisk lower

So my conclusion is sometimes the problem may be not so serious as it appears :) Just try some simple "solutions". Some of them may work.

Quote from: kf_manDid you manage to get your harddisk problem figured out?  I read your other post, but it wasn't clear whether the solution has been working.  I'm just curious to get an update on the problem.

kf_man

If you use Centrino Hardware Control, it will let you see the temperature of the harddrive.  That might help with diagnostics.

makeagoodday

Quote from: kf_manIf you use Centrino Hardware Control, it will let you see the temperature of the harddrive.  That might help with diagnostics.

Thank you for your info. I downloaded CHC and it's really nice :) My harddisk temperature is now 38 degree :)

kf_man

That's really good, I love that utility!  It's just plain awesome.