News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

power button doesn't quite work

Started by excogitation, March 27, 2007, 03:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

excogitation

Hello,

I've had this problem for quite a while that I have to press the power button a specific way to function /
I now even have removed the cover to get the Laptop to work more easy.

The thing is that I just bought an Acer 8103 off ebay because my loved zt3280us wouldn't let me properly play S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

So now I just want to fix the power button and sell it on ebay.

I know that some others had the same problem / but unfortunately the old x1000forums site is gone / and what a shame that
noone made a backup.

spot

My power button has also begun acting up on my x1000. Does anyone have any advice to give?

Will it hold on for a while or should I get busy fixing it?

How can I fix it? Replacement or is there some sort of fix I could apply?

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer...

kf_man

Well, the old forum has been gone for a while and I don't think anybody really saw it coming, especially the second time.

Either way, I don't recall any problems/solutions on the old forum, but maybe someone else does.  The biggest problem with that series is that it's now vastly discontinued.  There are very few working models left out there.

Do you have any idea what causes it not to work?  Is it that actual button itself or just the cover?  If they even still sell it, HP only sells parts packages that run pretty expensive and include a variety of related parts, I don't believe they sell that piece separately.  The problem with plastic parts is that they are very hard to repair.

spot

The spring seems to have broken, or was displaced by some plastic bit breaking inside. The laptop will only turn on after wriggling the button around.

I've seen some cheap used power strips on ebay, guess I'll try my luck at that. I already bought a video card about a year ago and that turned out well. All in all I'm just not ready to give up on my x1000! It's been with be through quite a lot and it deserves that I try all I can before letting go...

Update: I just bought a power strip on ebay for $0.99 from a seller with 100% positive feedback!

dre

I found that if I simply hold it down for 5 seconds with steady pressure it will always start up.