News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

Battery Not Charging

Started by gutchak, August 31, 2008, 01:37:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gutchak

Given that this unit's about five years old, its understandable that its battery no longer holds a charge. My question is if its safe to keep it in the unit while its on or not.

Its like, once i turn the unit on, it indicates that its charging the battery... then a few seconds after, the charging led just turns off by itself.

Is this normal? Expected of a dying battery?

imfletcher

I've have had this problem twice, each about a year apart.  Yes, a new battery solved the problem each time.

However, it has happened again recently.  A "new" battery this time did not solve the problem.  There is no way to tell if the battery I bought is indeed new, so I can't be 100% its not still a battery issue.  I plan to exchange the battery for another and see what happens.

FYI while the battery is in, the charger plug gets VERY hot.  If I wiggle the plug, sometimes the orange charging light will come on for a short time.  Then it flickers while making a high pitched noise.   I have 2 different power adaptors, 1 with a slightly longer plug than the other.  The longer tip plug is easier to get a charge started now.  I suspect a damaged internal plug.

You can buy a battery on e-bay for about $50.  Search using the "Replace" code printed on the battery.