News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

How often should the fan run

Started by tns1, June 24, 2006, 06:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tns1

My x1000 fan only seems to run briefly on powerup. It has been this way since I purchased it two years ago. Since I have just replaced a video card, I am wondering what is normal, and at what temp should the fan turn on?

romeon

My fan turns on at 60°C. I use hmonitor to measure.
nx7000 1.5 ~ 1GB ~ Seagate 100GB ~ DVD/CDRW ~ Intel 802.11g

kf_man

The fan almost never runs, I haven't had any problems with my laptops in the over two years I've run it.  The fan only comes on when I play games or do a lot of strenuous calculations.

tns1

I was just going to post that I had never heard the fan turn on - and it did!
Looking forward to when NHC has the cpu temp and fan control. That hmonitor
is too large an app to just give me two temp readings.

romeon

In the beginning of last year I asked the author of NHC to integrate our temperature sensor twice. I also sent him a screenshot of hmonitor with the concrete chip model. Nothing happened since then. In my opinion he has plenty to do with fixing his newer NHC versions, our temperature likely will never be added.

Here you can contact him: http://www.p35-forum.de/board/board.php?boardid=73
Unfortunately he doesn't speak english (the english program gui and his website is translated by another person).
nx7000 1.5 ~ 1GB ~ Seagate 100GB ~ DVD/CDRW ~ Intel 802.11g

imfletcher

Hmonitor 4.4.3.1 shows CPU temperature, as well as hard drive temp.  Can someone please try out this software and post at what CPU temp their fan turns on?  Also, is there a way to adjust the temp when the fan turns on?  This s/w does not provide that funtionality.

I just had my power socket and headphone jack replaced (~ $200) but now my fan does not turn on.  It is running a lot cooler since the socket doesn't overheat anymore - it was loose and was causing battery charging issues.   I didn't know of this s/w before the repair, but after the repair I have seen the CPU temp rise to 78 C and still no fan.  The bottom of the PC is still not very hot....I'm just being paranoid!  IIRC when the PC was new the fan hardly ever came on either, but that was a LONG time ago and my memory isn't what it used to be!

http://www.hmonitor.net/product.shtml#Download

Update: the tech forgot to plug the fan harness into the motherboard.  All OK now :-)