News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

Vista - Any luck yet?

Started by quietas, June 12, 2006, 07:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quietas

Hey folks, with MS's free beta 2 downloads, has anyone tried Vista recently? Specifically are the video drivers working, that's about my only concern.

I've got it downloading now, should be installed tonight as long as the install doesn't get messed up again.
Quietas
X1000 CTO
1.5 ghz, 768 mb RAM, 40 gb HD
64 mb Radeon 9whatever00
Atheros 5004 A/B/G Wireless (F.34 BIOS)
DVD/CDRW Combo (stock)
No Bluetooth (pm if sellign one cheap)

quietas

Ok, I got it installed fine. Everything but the video works, it has the same problem as we all have with XP. Garbled screen that overlaps wierdly. Vista knows it's a Radeon 9000, but the screen is detected as a non-PNP default instead of an LCD. I plugged it in to my network and the remaining devices such as the SD reader and my Atheros wifi card were discovered and drivers were downloaded. Once downloaded I just had to plug in my network key and my wifi was working easily.

Now for the video stuff. It works, but I had to get it booted up and decipher the screen enough to be able to switch it to VGA mode by changing the driver it was using. I could then set it to 800x600, 1024x768, or 1280x1024.

I guess the trick now is to get ATI or HP to cough up a working driver. Everyone call or email HP support so they know we are still using the system and need working drivers.
Quietas
X1000 CTO
64 mb Radeon 9whatever00
DVD/CDRW Combo (stock)

quietas

I talked to HP support a bit ago. I do have to say that the concept of an online chat is damned handy, but I sometimes thinkg they are talking to multiple people. It took sometimes 5 minutes or more between replies. The syntax is odd, so it's obvious that the gentleman I talked to is overseas, but does he have to feed it through translation software each time I send a line? Here's a transcript of the online chat:

QuotePaul: Hello Culley.
Paul: Welcome to HP Total Care for Compaq Products. My name is Paul. How may I help you today?
Culley Morrow: Hello, my question should be quick
Culley Morrow: I have an older Compaq x1000 series notbook, and singe version 5.6 of the video drivers there has been no updates. Roughly a year now. Will there be support soon for new versions as well as Vista?
Culley Morrow: Older, but still quite functional with today's standards. Vista functions on it, all but the video. XP and Vista seem to both detect the LCD incorrectly
Paul: I understand you concern . However you do not have test data on the Vista for your notebook model.
Culley Morrow: Other than Vista, will the video driver for XP be updated or allow ATI to merge it into the unified Mobility drivers?
Paul: Please provide the serial number of your notebook so I can check the latest driver available for your notebook.
Paul: You can locate the 10 or 12 digit alphanumeric serial number at bottom side of the notebook.
Culley Morrow: I will ahve to get that from home, I am currently at work. It is a CTO version of the x1000. The latest that has been seen is http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&tool=softwareCategory&os=228&product=350715&softwareitem=ob-30772-1
Culley Morrow: That download is over a year old, or a slightly newer modded version based off the ATI Catalyst 5.6 can be downloaded from the internet
Paul: May I know if you are trying to download the latest version of video driver?
Culley Morrow: I already have that driver that is in the support section. I am trying to locate a newer 6.0+ version that works with XP or Vista.

At this point unforunately I was cut off, it was time to go home anyway so i left work. I might try again tomorrow.

Quietas
X1000 CTO
64 mb Radeon 9whatever00
DVD/CDRW Combo (stock)

kf_man

It doesn't look like HP is going to be a huge help here, it seems as though ATI themselves do not have good working drivers for our laptop.  The problem seems to lie with the LCD detection using those drivers and I don't think anyone figure out a way to fix that (Beyond using PowerStrip to manually set the timings).  If you do figure out a way, that would be great, but I don't see that happening.  I'm not trying to be a downer, but considering that HP hasn't released anything new for our laptop in quite some time and ATI doesn't seem to fix the graphics problem with each new release, I've given up hope on that issue and I just stick with what works.

ft

hi guys sure has been awhile :)
i just put vista beta2 onto the old x1000 and it only boots into a blackscreen ;(

tinkering around in safe mode hasnt rectified it yet either... will mess with it later...

btw- shame about teh old site (x2?) flashram is on aim, but its hard to get in touch with him.. i last spoke with him about 360 hacking... (not tahtd we do anything of the sort!)...

quietas

Good to see you back ft. I got mine working with Vista by booting to safe mode, removing the Rad 9000 driver, and forcing it to use VGA. It's the exact same issues we have with XP and the 5.7+ drivers, the LCD.

It's not worth bothering with though without drivers, the powermanagement isn't working, it feels sluggish, and the cpu/hard drive are chugging hard about 75% of the time.
Quietas
X1000 CTO
64 mb Radeon 9whatever00
DVD/CDRW Combo (stock)

deluxe

Given that the last several versions of ATI's drivers haven't worked on the x1000, I'd say it's high time to sell the machine if you have hopes of running Vista.  HP isn't going to do a damn thing about getting Vista video drivers going either.  it's over... sell the machine while XP's current and you can get a good buck for it!  I still have mine, but I believe the writing is on the wall.

Plus, Core Duo's blazing-fast!

bili_39

Hi all, my first post here..

I founded a solution on some other forum (forget where):

use the last HP's drivers. (extract and manualy update).

that's all.

Works well enough.

kf_man

I haven't even tried Vista on my laptop (and never will), but this could be useful information.  Do the drivers work ok?  I know that Vista is supposed to use a different Video driver architecture and I assumed older drivers wouldn't work with it.

bili_39

Yes, drivers works just like in XP, with same stability and same limitations (that makes us use Omegas instead) and notebook doesn't wake up from hibernation...

Vista is a bit too hungry for my nx7010 (just 512 MB of RAM is main reason, I gues).

I was just curious.  :)

deluxe

XP is rather hosed on my x1000 as it's been over a year since I installed it.  Since I now have my desktop computer again, and it's been gradually re-comissioned as my main computer, I'm going to toss Vista on my notebook and see what I can work out with the drivers.  Maybe those old Omega Drivers based on Catalyst 5.6 will work fine... maybe I can make frankenstein drivers that work too.

deluxe

I installed the latest public Vista build, 5472, last night.  As expected, when the Vista booted up for the first time the screen was a total out-of-sync mess, but the the external monitor showed up fine, and even in the correct 1440x900 resolution.

I did some searching and found that there are some other groups of Radeon Mobility users that ATI has also stopped support, and thus came about a few different proposed solutions for getting the display up.

Right now I'm using "PowerStrip" to tweak the monitor settings so that I have a proper 1280x800 display on my x1000.  PowerStrip has the ability to write the correct monitor settings to the registry, but I haven't had any luck getting it to write the correct settings yet, so my display is still slightly garbled until PowerStrip loads up itself makes the proper settings for my built-in LCD.

I've submitted a report to Microsoft about the problem, and expect them to lean heavily on ATI to address the issue.  The monitor support was there before, and it can be there again, it's just going to take Microsoft calling up ATI and saying, "get your act together.  Vista needs to ship with ATI drivers that recognize all of your crappy mislabeled hardware".

Burton_rider

Quote from: deluxe on July 22, 2006, 08:41:24 PM

Right now I'm using "PowerStrip" to tweak the monitor settings so that I have a proper 1280x800 display on my x1000.  PowerStrip has the ability to write the correct monitor settings to the registry, but I haven't had any luck getting it to write the correct settings yet, so my display is still slightly garbled until PowerStrip loads up itself makes the proper settings for my built-in LCD.

I've submitted a report to Microsoft about the problem, and expect them to lean heavily on ATI to address the issue.  The monitor support was there before, and it can be there again, it's just going to take Microsoft calling up ATI and saying, "get your act together.  Vista needs to ship with ATI drivers that recognize all of your crappy mislabeled hardware".

Would Powerstrip also work with a wuxga display? - that might make me try for it again.

I'm really angry with ATI for not supporting their older products. I mean - I bought the damn thing not more than a year ago and now they don't support it any more. That is really annoying. As far as i can tell the oldest version of Mobility Radeon that they support with Vista is the 9550. I'll try to report the problem to MS as well - the more people that do this the higher the posibility of them calling up ATI and telling them to do something about the problem.

Compaq X1000
Pentium M Dothan 1.6 GHz
Windows XP Home
1GB PC2700 RAM
80 GB 5400 RPM HD
Dual Layer DVD Burner
Intel Pro Wireless 2200 & Bluetooth
15.4" WUXGA
64MB Radeon 9200

deluxe

Powerstrip will work with any monitor.  ANY.

I know the issue is in setting the right V and H scync, but what's odd is that those numbers don't seem to matter at all, what works is when the pixel clock is set at 70.875 for my 1280x800 display.  My panel is made by CMO, so others might need a different speed.

It's still a kludge.  The login screen is still messy, it's readable now, but the screen isn't perfect until powerstrip loads.

romeon

Quote from: ft on June 29, 2006, 09:40:21 AM
hi guys sure has been awhile :)
i just put vista beta2 onto the old x1000 and it only boots into a blackscreen ;(
Same here with 1680 resolution. After installation I get a black screen. No other drivers fixed it.

External monitor works fine, but vista is no fun on this machine. Too slow (takes >350mb (!) ram), too ugly (DX8) and it doesn't work with my lcd.
nx7000 1.5 ~ 1GB ~ Seagate 100GB ~ DVD/CDRW ~ Intel 802.11g