News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

How much ram can it take

Started by Burton_rider, June 09, 2006, 12:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burton_rider

I'm thinking about upgrading my memory from the current 2*256 Mb to 2*1Gb - I don't really know if this is possible, so my question is if the motherboard supports the 1Gb sticks?

Also - the reson why i'm thinking about it is that I have gotten a great offer on 2Gb's of ram - The ram sticks are called  1GB Kingston PC3200 200pin - will this work with my X1015?

Thanks

Moderator EDIT:  Fixed post to fix the RSS feed.
Compaq X1000
Pentium M Dothan 1.6 GHz
Windows XP Home
1GB PC2700 RAM
80 GB 5400 RPM HD
Dual Layer DVD Burner
Intel Pro Wireless 2200 & Bluetooth
15.4" WUXGA
64MB Radeon 9200

kf_man

Well, the computer can support up to 2GB of RAM if I'm not mistaken, but the fastest speed supported is PC2700.  That's not to say that PC3200 modules won't work, they most likely will work just fine, but there is a slightly higher risk of the modules being rejected.  Like I said, that really shouldn't be a problem, but I made sure to get PC2700 RAM to keep the memory at the maximum supported speed.

The one problem with installing two modules is that the second module goes under the keyboard.  I believe the upgrades forum has some useful posts about that so go check that out.  Good luck, I'm sure everything will go fine.

Burton_rider

That sounds good - I've already been "under the hood" earlier on just to have a look. so I think that the upgrade should be pretty easy.
Thanks for theh ansver :-)
Compaq X1000
Pentium M Dothan 1.6 GHz
Windows XP Home
1GB PC2700 RAM
80 GB 5400 RPM HD
Dual Layer DVD Burner
Intel Pro Wireless 2200 & Bluetooth
15.4" WUXGA
64MB Radeon 9200