News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

Thanks for your effort to start a new X1000 forum !

Started by lenp, June 30, 2005, 07:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenp

Any ideas of what happened with the original one? No way to get hold on old threads and import them? There is plenty of good information that else are lost...

/L

kf_man

Well, from what I know, there is no way to get any of the information back.

Quote from: Ned from hpnotebookforums.comFrom what I know, the forum was hacked by a disgruntled member and all
posts/records were deleted and the database corrupted. At last check,
the
ISP's backup had happened after the board was already hacked and they
deleted their previous backup.  Also, the Admin's private backup was
corrupted - and all he had was a very old (as in 1 year old) backup from
when he switched servers last.

I don't believe that the other forum will come back up anytime soon.  I would like to start rebuilding the information on my server.  This server is not very beefy, I may fix that in the near future.  I do, however backup consecutively every night.  I have 10GB dedicated only to backup.  I keep at least a few weeks of daily mySQL backups so this problem shouldn't happen again.

haxx

Some of the data can still be found using Google's cache.  It's tedious, but when all else fails, data is data.  ;-)

kf_man

That is very true.  If you or anyone else would like to start rebuilding the information from cache, let me know.  I will find somewhere to put the images if you ask.  I will probably work on getting the processor upgrade and getting under the hood sections done sinc they have tons of images.

haxx

kf_man,

Any idea how to contact flashram (x1000forums admin) and find out his intentions.  Is the old site truly never coming back?  If so, and this is the new destination, maybe he can put a link next to the "Board Offline" message (on the old site).

I can't believe all the users have just gone away.  I feel like one of a few roaches looking around saying, "I guess the jokes about only us roaches surviving a nuclear bomb was wrong".  :-)

I tried emailing an admin at some other board that looked like he set up, but I have not gotten any response.

Just a suggestion.

kf_man

It appears that Flashram likes his privacy.  I was not able to contact him directly, so I tried contacting him through another forum (dv1000forums) using Private Messages.  I have never heard back from him about that.  Ned from hpnotebook forums did reply and said that he would try to contact him.  This was all back when the board had no message and was just offline.  I do know that the database is corrupted and the newest information in the backup is almost 1 year old.  I will try to contact Ned again and hopefully he can post a link or something.

I'll see what I can do.

kf_man

I heard back from Ned and this is what he had to say.

Quote from: From Ned at hpnotebookforumsI haven't heard from flash in a while, so I really can't say what's going on (it's not like we really "talk"). But until I know the future of x1000forums, I need to stay linked as-is.  Hopefully we'll hear something soon.

It appears as though I'm not the only one who hasn't heard from him in a while.  I sure hope that we hear something soon since this forum won't pick up until people find.  I guess we'll see what time brings.

EDIT:  Fixed quote.

applesuki

I saved the first page of most of the how-to stickies on the old forum.  I have the first page of comments as well as the pictures from the following topics:
How to swap CD-ROM
Howt to upgrade your Hard Drive
How to upgrade your processor
how to upgrade your ram
video card
wifi
upgraded my x1000 to 802.11abg
x1000 bluetooth tutorial
intel 2200 BG swap
x1000 pics
getting under the hood

I would be happy to send/upload the files.  Just give some instructions and they are on their way.  I am so unhappy to have lost that rich source of info.
Why would anyone destroy that forum?  What did it ever do to them?

romeon

x1000forums is dead for a while once more. I really hate this behaviour, so I found this forum. Although it's a little bit late, I hope more members will follow.
nx7000 1.5 ~ 1GB ~ Seagate 100GB ~ DVD/CDRW ~ Intel 802.11g

kf_man

Well, this forum has actually been up for a while...it lost momentum when the other forums came back online though so it never really caught on.  Hopefully, as you said, more people will follow.

Byronw56

I also just found this forum and want to express my deep gratitude for your efforts to keep the X1000 info available and to provide us a forum.  I seldom post to forums, but this time I see a need to encourage someone and let them know they're appreciated. 

I did a LOT of research before buying my X1050.  It's a great machine and runs my games, WoW in particular.  I had the more expensive model originally (X1030 I think), bought from Costco, with a 1.7 Ghz CPU, DVD Burner, etc.  but returned it when I found this X1050 open-box special at BestBuy for 1/2 the price.  All I added was another 512 of RAM.  It's been rock solid for 2+ years now and is my main machine. 

Thanks again,

Byron

thedrake

I'll throw my thanks in here as well.  I visited the other forum a bit, but noticed it wasn't as active as it used to be......Hopefully I'm going to get fully engaged with my X1000 and Linux install with it so I'll try to make this forum a daily stop for me.
Notebook: X1000 w/DVD-ROM, 640MB RAM, 40GB HD, 64MB 9200
Desktop: Asus A8N32-SLI, X2-4400, 2GB Corsair PC3200c2pt, eVGA 7900GT CO, 2-WD 250GB 16MBcache 3.0GB, LiteOn DVD-RW w/L.S., 2-Asus DVD-ROM, CoolerMaster STC-T01 Stacker w/crossflow

x47

Sure, Let me get in the train of " Thanks for your effort to start a new X1000 forum ! "