News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

Upgrading from Mobile 1.4 to Mobile 1.6

Started by alden, May 15, 2006, 04:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alden

any advice if it worth to upgrade.  Is it like upgrading 2.4 to 2.8?

kf_man

I honestly don't think it would be worth it.  Do you have the chip already?  Is your warranty expired?  Are you prepared to dismantle the entire laptop?  If all of this is true, then go for it, otherwise I would just leave it alone while it's still working fine.  This laptop is getting fairly old, so I don't really see any point in doing such a risky upgrade.  This is just my opinion of course and if you do want to go ahead with it, all of the howto's in the upgrade forum should help you out.

deluxe

I made that small jump because I got a 1.6ghz Dothan with the 2mb cache for $50.  And I like to hack hardware and have plenty of experience doing it.  The speed increase is trivial and not noticeable as it is less than 20%.  My general rule of thumb is upgrade computer parts when new parts offer a doubling in speed.  Or when the new parts price is only slightly more when you factor in hawking the old parts.

alden

thank you Deluxe.  The small difference doesn't worth it iindeed.  Someone just offered me a CPU for $40 but I guess I pass on it.

deluxe

If it's a 2mb cache Dothan chip for $40, and you've got experience hacking hardware--why not?  But if it's the only 1mb cache chip (or worse for this laptop, a 533mhz bus chip) then pass.

romeon

It's no Pentium M, it's a Mobile Pentium 4. This one doesn't fit und wouldn't be as powerful as a Banias or Dothan.
nx7000 1.5 ~ 1GB ~ Seagate 100GB ~ DVD/CDRW ~ Intel 802.11g