News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

Original X1000forums hacked AGAIN??!?!

Started by toy4two, May 09, 2006, 01:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toy4two

When I try to go to the X1000 forums to post I get this:

mySQL query error: SELECT moderator.mid as is_mod, moderator.allow_warn, m.id, m.name, m.mgroup, m.password, m.email, m.restrict_post, m.view_sigs, m.view_avs, m.view_pop, m.view_img, m.auto_track,
                              m.mod_posts, m.language, m.skin, m.new_msg, m.show_popup, m.msg_total, m.time_offset, m.posts, m.joined, m.last_post,
                          m.last_visit, m.last_activity, m.dst_in_use, m.view_prefs, m.org_perm_id, m.temp_ban, m.sub_end, g.*
                          FROM members m
                            LEFT JOIN groups g ON (g.g_id=m.mgroup)
                            LEFT JOIN moderators moderator ON (moderator.member_id=m.id OR moderator.group_id=m.mgroup )
                          WHERE m.id=1517

mySQL error: Access denied for user: 'nobody@localhost' (Using password: NO)
mySQL error code:
Date: Tuesday 09th of May 2006 04:26:24 PM

PLEASE tell me someone did an archive of all that info??

kf_man

Well, I don't have an archive of that.  As I've seen in the past, the admin doesn't really care that much about the site and doesn't take very good care of it.  I set this one up the last time it went down, but I did not get much traffic at all.  I only really have the info that I already got.  I don't know what else to say, it could just be a database problem, but who knows...

toy4two

when it comes back up I'll run a program I have that will download the entire site and I'll compress it and put it onto a Dual Layer DVD.  

Now all we need is someone to contact Flashram to put it back up, at least one more time so we can back it up.

kf_man

I did send him and IM, but I heard no response from him.  He doesn't seem to have done anything on the site and I don't know what he's up to.  I know he is a busy man, but hopefully he can get it running again.  An archive of the site would be really good as well.

deluxe

From the way that the site's error message changed, along with the odd behavior of the site leading up to it's demise (redirecting to other sites), it's quite clear that the original x1000 forums has been defaced again.

After the other recent hack I sent him a link with all the patches that needed to be applied to the board we were running in order to secure it.  I also offered to apply the patches myself.  I never received a reply.  I sent a follow-up email--again no reply.

So, then the site gets hacked again.  Now my feeling is that the original x1000 forums should just throw in the towel and put up a simple welcome page that links over to these forums.  I emailed this suggestion to Flashram, and guess what?  No reply.

As the last active moderator over there, had I the power to apply the patches I would have. Sorry guys...

kf_man

Hey, it's not your fault.  When the forums went down the last time, I offered to take them over from him.  He was very unresponsive to me as well.  I even have his screenname on AIM from ft a while back.  He has only responded to me once or twice with all of the e-mail and messages I've sent him.  I even talked to someone over at hpnotebookforums.com who knows Flashram, but he could do little to help me besides try to prod Flashram into action.

I was very sad about the demise of the forum the first time, but not so much anymore.  I put a lot of time into getting these forums up to a point where they are useful, I keep them up to date, and I keep nightly backups of the databases.  It's obvious that Flashram wasn't up to the challenge of keeping the forums safe and secure, so I have no pity on them this time.

The really sad part about the whole thing is that with the decline in X1000/zt3000/nx7000 use these days, there isn't much need for the forums.  That said, I do not believe they are dead, but they are on a steady decline.  I remember when I could come to the old forums twice a day and still have plenty to read.  As far as what to do from here, I'll leave these forums up and running, but the bandwidth isn't great.  I'm running the forums off a PIII-500MHz server with 256MB of RAM over my Road Runner connection.  This is definately not the ideal situation, but I think for such a low key forum, the server will hold up just fine.

deluxe

It's too bad that this forum is so hard to find on Google.  It'd be real nice if the old forums put up a simple link to it.  Oh well!

kf_man

Yeah, I know it's bad, I switched forums lately and that threw off Google.  I also have problems getting Google to crawl this site even with the sitemap generator.

CharlzO

Greetings, and it's nice to see SOME X1000 forums up again! I miss all the old info (used it a couple times back in the day), but with the error on that page, I Googled "X1000 Forums" And this is the second site listed. Happy to see it back. Hopefully, we can get more and more people to remember what was on the old pages.

Burton_rider

I'll second that! - I was devastated when i found out that the original x1000 forums were hacked - The forums were actually one of the main reasons that i bought an x1000 since there was so much knowledge and support readily at hand.

So I'm really happy that the new forums are up and running, since it really is the best place on the web to get good info on your beloved lappy
Compaq X1000
Pentium M Dothan 1.6 GHz
Windows XP Home
1GB PC2700 RAM
80 GB 5400 RPM HD
Dual Layer DVD Burner
Intel Pro Wireless 2200 & Bluetooth
15.4" WUXGA
64MB Radeon 9200

nehopsa

My poor boys,

I am getting nostalgic about the forum...it is strange, isn't it - there is one piece of hardware that knits together a community of more or less dedicated supporters to keep it running. ...And as the hardware is aging and slowly passes into obsolescence so also the community declines.

I am returning to the forum

I am happy you are trying to keep the forum running.

(On the practical side: I came here to refresh my info I knew was here about changing HDD...to find a lot of it has been effaced....what a pity and devastation because some stupid hacker fool needed to boost his EGO!...just like Milosevic in Serbia)

deluxe

"Flashram", the previous caretaker of x1000forums.com, has let us down again.  On July 13th the domain registration expired on the "x1000forums.com" name, and thus it was quickly gobbled up by one of those parasitic registry services that won't let domains go for less than a few hundred bucks.

Lame.  We could have recaptured the main name and brought the forums back up again for third-or-so time.

Not much action here...  At least I remember what was most important from the other forums!

kf_man

I had tried numerous times to contact him and have never gotten more than a few cold words.  I basically gave up on that and like you said, I have all of the pertainent information in my head.  I keep these forums up for a few reasons:

• The server is running in my basement, a very low cost solution
  • The domain name is dyndns and free
  • There still is useful information on this site, but not as much as on the other site
  • There is still some need to communicate on x1000 issues

The need for these forums is definately waning, but I don't see any need to take them down just yet.  Ideally if they are ever going to need to go down for one reason or another, I will be sure to let you all know way in advance.  As far as hacking, I keep nightly backups of all databases and files just in case.  It's nice to see some of you back, but I understand that this laptop is quickly becoming a thing of the past.  Even I have been looking around at my next laptop purchase.

toy4two

I still use my x1000 everyday, damn thing is great.  I don't NEED to upgrade, it does everything I want, Half Life 2, web, email, P2P, DVD burning.

Of course I WANT a DV5000 but its not leaps and bounds better, it might have 64 more megs of memory and a slighly better processor, but the X1000 is still a great value.

kf_man

I'm not sure what I would get next time, but HP still has some very good offerings.  The most likely candidate right now would be the dv2000t as I'm looking for something a bit smaller anyway.  The graphics in all of the HP laptops are a little underpowered, but I'm not a big laptop gamer anyway.