News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

Battery discharges on AC Been there Done that

Started by gstrazds, February 02, 2006, 08:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backdoc7

I have an interesting variation to this problem.  Started having the discharge problem months ago.  bought a new power cord and thought that was the problem. It wasn't.  Got tired of the laptop completely discharging overnight and finally broke down and got a new HP battery.  Shut the computer off to charge the new battery overnight and when i came back to it the next morning, found the new battery only half charged and the led light flickering.  (this is what it does when it's about to stop charging the battery). So, now i have a brand new battery that wont charge. Even tried rebooting/hiberation and all i get is a flickering orange light, when the laptop finally reboots, the light goes off and it starts discharging the battery. So, two batteries, two power cords, and no improvment. what do you think Power chip. btw, im running the first bio's  f.10 i guess. but. have put a new wifi card in this laptop so would like to keep this bios as i know if i upgrade, the wi fi card will not work..

question, how do i replace the 'power chip' and is it something that can be done at home? where do i order it?
thanks for any help.
Bill.

backdoc7

btw, when i take out the battery, either the new or old one, the laptop works fine on ac power..  guess that means it's a
'power chip" issue? anyone know where i go from here.. thanks agian. Bill.

backdoc

Quote from: backdoc7 on September 22, 2006, 11:23:05 PM
btw, when i take out the battery, either the new or old one, the laptop works fine on ac power..  guess that means it's a
'power chip" issue? anyone know where i go from here.. thanks again. Bill.
Just to follow up, i replaced the power jack (purchased of ebay for ten bucks) and all is well with the laptop..  well. when putting the laptop back together, somehow i messed up the mouse pad because it is not working.  i will open it back up and fix that soon. 

fyi, you do have to take the whole motherboard out of the case and desoder the old power jack and resoder the new one.. not easy for someone with no skill like me as i broke the old jack off and had to take the pins out of the motherboard holes one at a time.. after that was done, sodering the new one on was easy.. probably should have just taken it in as some places will do the whole thing for a hundred bucks..

hope this helps some of you guys. let me know if you have questions. Bill.

bicem

When you say power jack does is that the internal one, what is the part number or how can I find it?