News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

Upgrading rams

Started by iv'N, August 17, 2005, 08:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iv'N

I was thinking of upgrading my rams one of these days.

My current setup is 256mb + 256mb 333mhz

Since I'm gonna start playing WoW soon, I thought of bumpin the memory up to at least 1gig.

First option: Remain 1 slot for the current 256mb ram and swap the other for 1gig of ram. Cost: USD130 (Conversion from MYR to USD)

Second option: Swap the 2 slot with 512rams each. The cost would be around USD110 as well.

Third option: Swap the 2 slot each with 512mb DDR2 533mhz ram. The cost: USD160. However my notebook, nx7010 mobo only has the bus speed up to 400mhz (i think..)  :(

I was thinking of going with the third option, but the thought of my 'weak' mobo is holding me back. Do you think its worth it?

If not.. which of the first 2 option would u go for?
NX7010 - Pentium M 1.4Ghz - 512mb ram - Radeon 9200 Mobility 64mb

kf_man

The motherboard in this laptop can ONLY support DDR, not DDR2.  On top of that, the maximum bus speed for the memory is only 333 MHz (PC2700).  Don't bother buying anything better than that.

Personally, I would buy a singe stick of 512MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM from a store like Newegg and just upgrade to 768MB RAM.  In my opinion, this will be plenty for you and much cheaper than your alternatives.  If you really want tons of RAM, I would either replace both sticks or just get a 1GB stick of the same type of RAM.  Like I said before, I doubt you really need that much memory.  I played WoW on my laptop for a little while and it ran pretty well, even with 512MB RAM.  The bigger issue is your graphics card, how much graphics memory does it have?  I have the 64MB and it worked fine.  The 32MB will work as well, but not to the same level of performance.  I have friends who play the game on very baseline laptops just fine, so you should just give it a try and find out.  Good Luck.

quietas

yeah, I agree with KF, 768 really is plenty for most anything you'd do on these laptops. I've played a lot of games on it over the years and it never suffered from lack of RAM, only lack of video performance since it's a laptop.
Quietas
X1000 CTO
1.5 ghz, 768 mb RAM, 40 gb HD
64 mb Radeon 9whatever00
Atheros 5004 A/B/G Wireless (F.34 BIOS)
DVD/CDRW Combo (stock)
No Bluetooth (pm if sellign one cheap)

iv'N

yesterday i tried to hang out at one of the town called iron forge. at the auction house where there were lots of people. my pc was processing very slow.

First i could see only shadows on the floor. Then one by one people start appearing.

Sometimes its would freeze for 30secs because of heavy loading.

My connection however is quite good.

So what might it be.. rams? processing power? or the graphic card?

kf_man

What are the full specs of your computer?  How much graphics ram do you have?  I'm betting that you have the graphics settings up too high.  You have to fine-tune them for the best performance.

iv'N

nx7010
pentium m 1.4ghz
512mb ram
radeon 9200 mobility 64mb

i have adjusting the graphics in WoW by clickin the 'default' button.

kf_man

Try turning down some of the different options.  The biggest ones are detail and draw distance.  I remember that I had to tweak them a bit before it would run ok.  I would also recommend that you try to run it at 1280x800 (your native resolution).  That way you won't need to do any scaling of the image.

tns1

If I replace my PC2100 memory in my x1000 with PC2700 should I expect to see a 166/133 -> 24% performance increase all else being equal?

If I mix two different speed sticks (1GB PC2700 slot1, 256MB PC2100 slot2) will each run at its max speed or will it all run at the slowest speed? 

romeon

It depends on wich chipset revision you have. You can check the revision with cpu-z. Start the program, look at "mainboard". A3 stands for the older chipset (SL6TJ on board), it can only handle 266mhz, regardless of how fast your rams are. B1 is the newer revision (SL752 chip on board) supporting DDR333 speed: if your ram is PC2700 or 3200, it'll run with 333mhz. However the slowest module determines the maximum speed. Maybe you have B1 revision and two different rams: one module is PC2100 and the other PC2700, you'll get DDR266 speed for both.

Intel pdf with chipset specs: http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/specupdt/25348802.pdf
nx7000 1.5 ~ 1GB ~ Seagate 100GB ~ DVD/CDRW ~ Intel 802.11g

tns1

Dang - A3 it is. I guess I just spent a little extra for that PC2700 module. I based my purchase on that one post about memory but hey, I was in a hurry to get my machine back to a usable level of performance.