News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

Catalyst 5.8 is out at driverheaven!

Started by iv'N, August 16, 2005, 12:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iv'N

http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=82220

ATI has release the latest driver to driverheaven a day earlier!

who wants to be a gineau pig?
NX7010 - Pentium M 1.4Ghz - 512mb ram - Radeon 9200 Mobility 64mb

kf_man

I downloaded them already and I plan to try them tonight when I get home.  I'm not sure if they will work since I had no luck using the 5.7 drivers on my laptop.  I couldn't even use the modified packages of drivers to make it work.  Everytime I would install them, my screen would get really messed up.

iv'N

kf_man

Sadly the news was not good for me.  If I try to use the internal display of the laptop everything is really messed up.  When I hooked it up to my external LCD, all was well.  I have no idea what is wrong and I guess I'm not gonna bother anymore.  Unless someone comes up with a solution for me, I guess I'll just stick with 5.6 since I doubt there are any real improvements anyway.  These drivers do work perfectly on my desktop computer with Radeon 9800 Pro, so don't be afraid of that.  I notice when looking through my massively distorted screen that the resolution of 1680x1050 is not an option.  I'm not sure if that is indicative of anything, but it seems suspicious.  If I choose any other supported resolution (1024x768), no good comes either.  So in conclusion, I will not be upgrading my ATI drivers again.

Laptop LCD:  1680x1050
Desktop LCD:  1600x1200

iv'N

tried it as well. same fate. sucksss!

kf_man

What screen do you have, is it the same resolution as mine?  I think that is the issue so I wonder if anyone with the 1280x800 screen could give it a try.  This would be a good experiment since maybe ATI made a mistake with the drivers.  If not, Catalyst 5.6 seems to work fine for me.

iv'N

my default resolution is 1280x800.

..... oh well.

I get a black screen..

and if not wrong the task bar fades out from the dark to a slightly bright withish bar..

well.. maybe we're all doomed with 5.6 drivers after all ??  :cry:

kf_man

That is a possibility.  If you really want to, you can give the drivers from Omega a chance and see if they work for you.  I tried the DNA version of the 5.7 catalysts with no luck, but Omega's are more heavily modded and may work better.  Give it a shot since you seem to have been able to recover from your previous driver failures.

EDIT:  Found a post at DriverHeaven with the same issue.  I almost wonder if this is somehow specific to us.  Check it out here:

http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=80520

imfletcher

First, I'm glad this forum has resurfaced!

All flavors of 5.7 resulted in same problems you describe.  I have 1920 x 1200.

By "us" do you mean M9 chip users?

kf_man

I almost want to say more specific to this series of laptops.  In the other forum, the only problems that I read were on this laptop.  It may very well be this series of chip, but in the other forum I link, it seriously looks like it's specific to this series of laptops.  Check it out and see what you think.

imfletcher

More widespread than just x1k/zt3k I think.  Others with different (newer)cards/notebooks have had same problem even with older drivers!  

http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=78228

Click on link in first post for screenshot of display.  Similar to what I saw in 5.7 - a ghosting, vert. sync type issue.

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=491

kf_man

Ok, here's what I think we should do:

Everyone with a digital camera needs to install the drivers and take a picture of the effect they see; get as clear a picture as you possibly can for comparison.  Then make a post in the forum with your system specs, screen resolution, video memory, driver version (Omega, Stock, DNA, whatever and version number), and any personal experiences.

Please e-mail the images and your username to me at x1000forums |at| gmail.com and I will update the post accordingly.

I just want to see some of the problems we have since mine does not look like the picture on the other forum.  Thanks for your help.

toy4two