News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

Upgrading My Wireless Card

Started by ednjude, August 16, 2005, 01:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmac

So I'm seeing the Intel b/g, the Dell truemobile 1370 and some other cards out on ebay right now.  Several of them are really cheap.  I currently have the Intel b card in my x1010.  Will one of the b/g or a/b/g card give me a more powerful connection and better range to my b class router?  I know when I run my work notebook, and IBM, I get a much stronger connection then with my X1010.  Is all I need the card and the drivers from dell or whomever?  Any down side to the upgrade?

Thanks,
-bmac

Rostov

Hello kf man the link to modify the firmware of the Intel Pro Wireless card 2200 it does not work, I hope so may fix it because really I need it.

Greetings.

kf_man

Sorry about that, the link is all fixed.  That's a relic of the board migration.

alden

Hey people,

I've tested two WiFi mini PCI cards: Intel 2200G and Broadcom G.  Intel sucks.  It just slows down.  Do not buy it if you want to upgrade it from B to G.  Broadcom is much better.

romeon

Quote from: alden on June 05, 2006, 11:44:37 PM
Intel sucks.  It just slows down. 
Did you update your Intel Pro Set before? The older versions cause slow downs and interrupts.
nx7000 1.5 ~ 1GB ~ Seagate 100GB ~ DVD/CDRW ~ Intel 802.11g

backdoc7

kf_man,
i have a zt3000 with firmare F.10. guess i have one of the older zt3000's. anway, are you saying that with an older bios, i can pretty much upgrade to any mini-pci card and not just intel or broadcom. i have a broadcom card 802.11g now and it's been giving me trouble (frequent drops, slow, inconsistent) for some time and i would love to replace it. i hear good things about the atheros cards and want to try one, however, want to make sure it will work first.. once again, my bios version is F.10  thanks. Bill.

kf_man

Yes, with the older version you can update to any card you want.  In fact, you can update your BIOS to any version prior to F.42 (I believe, please check around the forum before going on that; I want to say that it's F.35 or a later F.3x).  It's not too hard to do and you should have no problems.

er_nordico

Another way for the atheros based... ( drivers problems under win though...)

http://www.dagarlas.org/stuff/computing/article0001.php

bwbuy

Another successful wireless upgrade thanks to this site.  I  got an Intel 2200BG on eBay. It was supposed to be an HP 'pull', but with F.51 BIOS, it wouldn't POST and gave me an unacceptable (or unrecognized?) wireless card error message.  Rats!

So, I swapped the 2100 back in.  I found the F.34 BIOS on the HP Support site. I had to search for the file name "SP27857.exe" and it led me to the download.  Ran it.  Shut down the machine.  Swapped the cards. Then when it started I went right into Win XP.  I had to install the new driver for the newly found hardware. and now I'm up and running at 802.11G using Windows Wireless.  Took about 1 1/2 hours with all the downloads and referring back to this thread for instructions.

mikebetz42

Anyone running a Dothan 2ghz CPU with the old F.34 BIOS???

rattle

I'm using nx7010 with bios f.5X and I'm trying to install WIFI card-Atheros AR5005GS, will downgrading my bios to F.34(sp27857.exe) allowed me to intall this card.
Thanks in advance.