News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

How are you getting Google cached pages?

Started by quietas, August 09, 2005, 10:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quietas

I notice there was a discussion about backups and save files, but someone mentioned scrounging Google for cached pages. Is there a way other than just using the search to reach pages in a forum, or a thread that is multiple pages?
Quietas
X1000 CTO
1.5 ghz, 768 mb RAM, 40 gb HD
64 mb Radeon 9whatever00
Atheros 5004 A/B/G Wireless (F.34 BIOS)
DVD/CDRW Combo (stock)
No Bluetooth (pm if sellign one cheap)

kf_man

I have just been searching for them as follows:

bluetooth site:x1000forums.com

You should replace bluetooth with whatever search term you want.  The "site:" makes sure that you only see the pages from that site.  It has worked well so far.  The problem i run into is seeing multiple pages.  If anyone knows a better way, I would be happy to hear it.

ft

hi guys, nice job resurrecting our old fourms :)

its really too bad someone deleted our database, we had alot of good information and many good posters...

the site was "hacked" by g00ns.com (some sorta playground for kids)
http://www.hackthissite.org/news/view/207/printer
at first they defaced the anouncement forum with g00n popaganda, and a few days later purged our posts...

flashram was made aware of the first hack and was in the process of backing up the db and upgrading invision.. shame he never finished it in time (dont blame him though job/kids > website for a laptop you dont even own :) )

in any event many thanks should go out to flashram and our great posters.  many posters/mods came and went and im surprised we didnt die out sooner :)

as for me what started out as a fake username coming from fatwallet just to check my shipping status became a great forum to read and help others  
a few years later... i learned alot and i hope others did too..

pm me if you want to contact him, hell probably give you whats remaining of the domain/hosting..

kf_man

ft, it's great to have you back!  I was wondering when people would start to find the forum again!  I'm so excited that it's finally catching on!

Sorry about all the exclamation points, but this is really cool for me.  I just did this on a whim one day since I was bored at work.  :D  I sent you a PM too so I'm looking forward to your reply.

As for flashram, he did a great job over the years I attended the forum and I'm glad that he hasn't completely forgotten about us.  I can't blame him for growing distant since there is always that little thing called life tugging at your coat tails.  I personally always wondered why he still hung out at the forum even though he had gotten a new laptop (Dell 700m was it?).  It's too bad he couldn't backup the database in time, but at least we can resurrect some of the site from Google and by just rebuilding it from memory.

I hope that other people will join in rebuilding the forum using both google and personal experience.  It really doesn't take that long and I will host any images that you have.  Just PM me for more details.

By the way ft, I'm curious how you found the site, is Google working or was it my post at Notebookreviews.com.

Thank you again!

ft

i typed in x1000forums in google and this was like the 3rd hit or so..

flash had a 700m i think hes got a gateway now or something :) hard to keep track of his endeavors..

it is exciting that you put this back up, as i said before i greatly enjoyed our community...

haxx

Hi,

I'm the one that originally responded to someone about using the Google Cache for some of our lost content.  Unfortunately, their cache is from some sort of supplemental db and I fear it will one day be gone.  I'm sure they only hold on to supplemental stuff for some amount of time, before giving up on the site that it's from.  Plus, the data only goes up to about Jan/Feb 2005.

With that in mind, I have attempted to scrape as much of the 7000 pages that they have, before it's gone for good.  The scrapes are only of the text (that's all Google has).

I scraped it for two reasons.  One, is mainly for myself.  I recently wanted to upgrade my 802.11b to g, and during my reading up on it, the original forum was knocked offline.  So after some digging, I found what I needed in the cache.  Second, I want to be able to post what I can back here on occasion to help out.

I spent a little time trying to sort out all the dups and have a way to at least present the archives without having to post them individually, but that's a project on my back burner.

Long live the X1000, and it's forum(s)!

:D

kf_man

Thank you for the great job on that.  In order to rebuild the forums we need as much help as possible.  I would be grateful if you would post some of the old information and then PM me for the e-mail address to mail the images to (if any).  Thanks again for the help!