News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

HOWTO: Install X1000 Bluetooth (by Illeagle)

Started by kf_man, July 12, 2005, 09:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kf_man

Links of Interest:

Time for Upgrade- 5 minutes.

First off- Some pics of the Bluetooth Model. It's an Actiontec BTM-200 module. I've seen USB versions of this on E-bay, but it doesn't have a connector for inside the X1000 series. It's also HP part number 338134-001 and goes for around $78.

Instructions:

• Detach your X1000 from the docking station and find a soft surface to turn it over on.

• Remove the battery.

• Remove the two keyboard screws from the bottom. They're easy to find as they have a keyboard symbol next to them.

• There are 4 tabs on the keyboard- they're between the F-keys. They slide down about 1/8". Slide them down toward the keyboard.

• There's no need to remove the keyboard totally- just lift it and put it to the side. There will be plenty of room to work. Underneath where the space bar normally is there is a white connector- this is where one end of the bluetooth plug goes.

• There are some wires going toward the battery compartment with some clips to keep the wires taught. Feed the other end of the bluetooth cable into the battery compartment. Put the keyboard back in place and secure it with the 'sliders'.

• Attach the bluetooth module to the other end of the cable and secure under the clip in the battery compartment. They give two small screws to attach it in the battery compartment.

• Put back in the battery. Put the two keyboard screws back in. YOU"RE DONE.

Easy and simple. I don't think there needed to be a tutorial- but if alot of you guys are like me, I'm an idiot when it comes to fixing things. It makes it easy to see what you're getting into before you order the upgrade!

I downloaded the software from HP and it works fine- turns on and off with the Wi-Fi button. I was a wimp and downloaded the 1.00C drivers instead of the 3.00C drivers. See the drivers forum for explanations about a possible bug that hoses your Bluetooth module in the new drivers.