News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

HOWTO: Upgrade the Video Card (by Dan)

Started by kf_man, July 12, 2005, 01:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kf_man

Before you can upgrade your video card you need to carry out the instructions in this topic:

Getting under the hood of your X1000 w/ pics

For a list of currently available video cards, check HP PartSurfer

Ok, once you finished dissassembling the case, you can:

Remove the heat shield:

• Remove one L15 screw
  • Remove one L3 (small thread pitch)
  • Pull up on heat shield until the tab snaps upward past the PC Board

Once you have removed the heat shield. You can:

Remove the video card:

• Use fingers to pull modem off and set aside
  • Use mounting boss from modem as a leverage point to pry off video card as shown.

Installation is the reverse of removal but make sure that thermal pads on the heat shield seat well against their respective chips.

Here are some random video related pics:

Maybe these pics can help someone determine if we have aftermarket upgrade options?

-Dan

alphaz

Hi there,

I found an auction of Dell 600m parts, which includes a 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 card (M9-CSP64). I wonder if it can be installed into X1000, since my X1000 graphic card is a 32MB one. Cheers.

Ahmad

kf_man

Personally, I would play it on the safe-side here.  I want to say that there is little chance that a Dell board would fit in our laptop.  I am pretty sure that the motherboard and daughter card were designed to be used together and I'm pretty sure that the Dell card wouldn't even fit in our notebook.  If you find anything out about it, please let us know.  This would be an interesting find.