News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

Upgrade CPU X1050CA

Started by salvo, March 22, 2010, 11:38:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

salvo

Hello,

I want to replace the processor 1.4GHZ Banias with a Dothan 2.0GHZ on my compaq X1050CA but I need an elucidation:

DOTHAN SL7EM seems to me appropriate, but must he be a socket 478 or 479 or two are compatible?

Thanks!

GotNoRice

Socket 478 is the Pentium-4 socket.  All Laptop Pentium-M chips are 479 I believe.

2Ghz Dothan would probably work since it is 400mhz fsb but you would be pushing the limits of the cooling solution on the laptop at that point.  I went from a 1.4 Banias to a 1.7 Dothan myself.

salvo

I confirm that Dothan M755 in 2Ghz is adequate to updater Banias 1.4Ghz.
It works perfectly on my portable.

In spite of some divergent information, this processor exists only in the single type of socket which is 478.

Thanks!

GotNoRice

Quote from: salvo on April 21, 2010, 08:15:30 AMIn spite of some divergent information, this processor exists only in the single type of socket which is 478.

The only reason for "divergent information" is that people don't bother to do even basic research.

Socket 478 = Pentium 4 socket
Socket 479 = Pentium M socket

The two sockets are NOT compatible.

What might be confusing is that even though the 479 socket has 479 holes, a Pentium-M still only has 478 pins.  The processor is mechanically compatible with the 478 Pentium-4 socket but it is NOT electrically compatible.

The bottom line is that referring to a Pentium-M as socket 478 is incorrect terminology and misleading at best.

For more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_479