News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

HOWTO: Upgrade the Processor (by Dan)

Started by kf_man, July 12, 2005, 01:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kf_man

Before you can upgrade your processor you need to carry out the instructions in this topic:

Getting under the hood of your X1000 w/ pics

Ok, that was easy, now lets:

Remove the heatsink:

• Remove the four screws and associated springs
  • Lift heatsink/pipe assembly up and out of the case
    Note: These pictures are taken with the lcd and top cover removed. It is not necessary to remove these items when performing the processor upgrade.

Remove the processor:

• Rotate the zif socket screw one-hundred eighty degrees towards the unlock position
  • Lift processor out of socket

Replacing the processor:

• Installation is the reverse of removal, however:
  • Take care to align the correct corners of the socket and processor together
  • Insure that adequate heatsink compound or tape is present between processor and heatsink to allow proper heat dissipation.

• Screw installation:

• Barely thread each screw and spring through the heatsink into the motherboard bosses, when all four screws are in:
  • Following the numbering pattern shown on the heatsink:
  • Tighten each screw until it bottoms out in its boss. The springs will properly seat the heatsink against the processor.

Now you just slap the rest of the case back together and put a fork in it, it's done!

-Dan

Lomnica_city

What will happen if I take this Dothan from a friends broken laptop-> http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-MOBILE-PM-725-2MB and put it into my Compaq Presario X1000 (1005EA) with Socket 479 unlike the Dothan above which is Socket 478?
Will it work at all,and if it would word,then how would it work (full capacity)?
Pozdrav
Zoki

kf_man

I think the resource you found is incorrect.  I believe that all Pentium M processors are Socket 479 and not 478.  I would do a little more research and if you really want confirmation, count the pins.  I know people (including HP themselves) put that exact model processor (assuming it does have 479 pins) in their laptop.

Lomnica_city

Actually NO!!There are mPGA and mBGA sockets,those are Socket 479 that I need,and Socket 478 that people are offering me from broken laptops!!
My luck turned just yesterday,when I found two persons (after MONTHS of finding just people selling the S478 Dothan) who are wiling to sell S479 Dothan 1.6GHz (I don't need faster neither could I find it easy in Serbia) and they are asking about 60 euros,that's ~$80 US!
I think that's an OK price since there are not a lot of those things here (and my country is not suported by paypal,so no eBay) so I guess I'm buying those S479!!
P.S.Since you're the administrator,may I ask if you salvaged any of the case moding images from the original forum,or do you know which member did,cause I'm looking for a way to repair my laptop,since the scratches are realy bad to look at,and I remember couple of image tutorials on old forum where people made miracles with their X1000s!!
Pozdrav
Zoki

kf_man

Pretty much, it's what you see is what you get.  I posted everything I was able to rescue from the old site and at this point I'm just working from memory.  I wasn't aware that there were two versions of the chip, but it's good that you found one.  About the scratches, I'm not really sure what other people did since I was a latecomer to the site and my laptop was still very new.  Even now the number of scratches is minimal.  I wish I could be most help, but I would suggest looking around the internet for general tips.

Baralheia

Just FYI:
I just chatted with one of the HP / Compaq online tech support people, and according to them, you can use any of the Banias or Dothan core Intel Pentium M processors in the X1000 series laptop. YMMV, of course, but it should work.

Lomnica_city

It doesn't matter anymore,I gave my X1000 to my brother since the graphic card died on me,and he took it to repair and I got myself a nice nx9420 C2D machine!
Pozdrav

kf_man

Sadly I too have moved on to a new ThinkPad T60 with a C2D T7200.  The graphics card in the zt3000 was just getting too old and doesn't really support Vista at all, but other than that it worked fine and I sold it to my father.  Although most people had graphics card issues, I bought the machine toward the end of life and after almost three years I've had no problems with it.

As far as a processor upgrade, at this point there is no point in it.  Whatever processor is currently in the machine will work well enough and the benefits of upgrading just don't exist.  The best thing to do if you really require a better processor is to move on to a more modern machine with better graphics capabilities.  At this point, even the integrated Intel GMA950 is better than the Radeon 9000/9200 in these machines.

Lomnica_city

You SOLD it to your father!? :)  I gave it to my bro cause his IBM R40 is weak compared to Compaq (integrated M6,atleast I think it's M6,ATI graphics vs Mobility 9200 with it's own 64MB memory,then 40GB vs 80GB HD,then 14.1" vs 15.4" TFT, then 2GHz Celeron 4M vs 1.6 Pentium M...) and I'm pretty satisfied with my new machine except for it's"loudnes"cause the fan turns most of the time,while the Pentium M machines are soooooo quiet,but I needed something better for CAD programs and ocasional gaming (COD,Hitman and stuff like that) to relax but slow memory and weak graphics are no good for eather of those things so upgrade was just matter of"any day now"!!I hope my English is good enough to understand my point and arguments for the abanding of very good X1000!
Pozdrav

MacGyver

Does anyone know the max cpu you can put in these laptops?

ezgoldin

I've upgraded to a 1.6 GHz Centrino in mine, but pulled it and went back to the stock 1.3 GHz chip because the fan seemed to be running so much more frequently.  It ran fine with the faster chip, but I'm really "heat conscious" with this machine these days.

mikebetz42

I have a 2ghz Dothan in mine....... runs great.

GotNoRice

I upgraded mine yesterday from a 1.4 Banias to a 1.7 Dothan.  The chip only cost me $27 on ebay including shipping!  It's a hell of an upgrade for the money, I can already tell the difference in WoW, which has always run on my X1000 but has been borderline unplayable since the latest expansion.

Thanks for the guide.

alden

I hope that someone is still alive on a forum and is still using X1000's.
I've upgraded 1.7ghz CPU to 2.0ghz processor and the computer wont restart.  BIOS is accessible, HD is no responsive.  Starts to load Windows and the system is locking up before picture W-XP shows up.
The same thing about re-installation of the operating system.  Just locks up.  HD stops working.
BIOS I was running is F.34.
I've tried to put back my 1.7Ghz CPU but it did the same thing.
Is there a problem with the voltage?

alden

the follow-up:

if I can access to my BIOS (no further than that) and it shows all specs of the Computer, CPU, the RAM amount, Video memory, etc will it show the non-working CPU?