News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

Does anyone here have an X1000 that still works?

Started by 91Bear, January 05, 2010, 03:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

91Bear

I just put an eBay-purchased video card in my old X1000 to no avail.  It looked like it was going to boot up but stalled halfway through.  After powering down and back up, I get a black screen and the clicking sound from the hard drive or optical drive, I can't tell.

Has anyone successfully resurrected one of these machines with a similar problem?

Has anyone had an X1000 that has never had any issues?

rssarma

Hi,

I've had my X1000 for 6 years now and have upgraded the CPU and RAM in this time, but it still works flawlessly and has not broken down even once. I'm amazed at how reliable this machine is.

If your graphics card doesn't work, there might be an issue with the motherboard.

Mr Cin

Howdy.  My NX7000 (2003 UK model) is still quite perky.  The graphics drivers have recently decided to blue screen with any fullscreen Flash, but I guess it's a W7/driver problem more than anything (it was fine a couple months ago).  I think I'll revert back to XP soon.  I do have a slightly fidgety trackpad every so often.  Again, mostly with Flash doing its thing.

I do however find DX8.1 a pain - you really want DX9 as a minimum.  I think this is the real beginning of programmes (games) disappearing out of reach for this 7 1/2 year old machine.  Booting and running full res is no problem though.  But no transparency.

PS I've upgraded CPU, RAM and HD.  Graphics remain as crap as ever.

I think I'll push it for another few years to reach the full decade.  Then throw it out the window.  Get a record or something.  Will this forum even be alive then?

deejjjaaaa

Quote from: 91Bear on January 05, 2010, 03:51:27 PM
Has anyone had an X1000 that has never had any issues?

I got my X1000 in July of 2003 and it is working as my edonkey/emule/torrent workhorse + firewall machine ever since in 24x7 non-stop mode, sitting inside a TV stand... outlived 2 HDDs in the process... running Windows 7 now, even it is Pentium M 1.3Ghz... I just upped it to 2Gb RAM that's it.

dncnw30t

Hi there,

I still have this machine which i simply love.

It works but had to replace the HDD recently after it died due to years of torrent , emule abuse.

The system is reporting certain problems though

1) Power on off button is getting hard every day
2) Optical drive doesn't recognize CD. DVD's still work though !!
3) touch pad buttons are also a little harder now.
4) battery is barely enough to survive 15 mins.
5) I can also sense the screen light is dim compared to my initial years.

Thats it !!! :-))

GotNoRice

I've had my X1000 since the summer of 2003 and it has been going strong for the most part.  I've since upgraded the CPU, the RAM twice, the hard drive, and the wireless card.

On my last upgrade though, I switched the 802.11b card for a 802.11g card (HP card on the whitelist) and also upgraded from 1.5gb ram to 2gb ram.  One of those two upgrades (did them at the same time) caused some sort of corruption however as I get an error when loading windows that a service can't start, and the error still occurs even when I remove both of the new pieces of hardware.  Hopefully it's just a corrupted file and an OS re-install will fix it.

But overall this laptop has had amazing longevity.  I would agree that it's weakest point is the dx8.1 graphics, and thus no vista or windows 7 driver whatsoever.  I've been able to get the XP driver installed in Vista and 7 but it doesn't work with any 3d acceleration.  The screen however is still absolutely fantastic and IMO still looks better than a lot of the laptop screens I see these days. 

The sturdy feel is still there as well.  When I was looking at which laptop to buy my test was to try to lift the entire laptop up (with the screen open) from one of the very front corners.  If it felt sturdy then great, but if it felt like it was about to snap apart under it's own weight then pass...