News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

It lives! Bringing the X1000 back to life...

Started by kurtmmiller, January 03, 2010, 05:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurtmmiller

I just blew the dust off of my old X1000 (I think it's actually a 1015). I haven't used it in a few years, but I still LOVE this computer! Problem is I stopped using it because it was beginning to have hard drive problems and crash a lot...I backed it up on an external drive and forgot about it. I've got a dinky little netbook now for mobility and would like to bling out the X1000 for my home bound workhorse. First, I'd love to take it all apart and give it a cool paint job...I'd use it mostly for HD graphics programs...building ads & editing HD photos for ads; MS Word/Excel; would be doing lots of large file downloads so a fast wifi would be essential; finally, while I don't do online gaming, I'd like to use it to record as a DVR. I'm not a computer guy, but I am a do it your selfer...does anyone have specs or a do it yourself youtube that would help me turn my old buddy into a hot rod? Thanks in advance for any help.

PS...Any feedback on using Ubuntu on the X1000? I have it on my netbook and another laptop and seem to like it.

Greenscreener

I have run Ubuntu on my X1000 before but never got the wireless to work.

Mr Cin

Quote from: Greenscreener on January 07, 2010, 02:05:17 PM
I have run Ubuntu on my X1000 before but never got the wireless to work.

I've tried Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu - I still don't understand the whole updating/installing programs.  Wireless and everything worked OK though - out of the box, including resolution and sound.  This mega-hub for program management idea seems good, but never works in a way that I get.  Windows I get, Linux (and OSX) are a massive mystery to me.

Sorry for those who tried getting WM7 to work with my step-by-step but couldn't.  I guess you have a newer version than the NX7000 I have - probably a need to find other drivers.  Or something.  For the record, the SD card reader remains unreadable.  I never used it back in the day, but now it's standard issue and would be quite useful!  Just waiting for that perfect netbook and I'm upgrading.