News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

Problem with boot (hard drive?)

Started by amitabh, August 26, 2008, 05:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amitabh

Im a newbie to register with this site,  but its been saving me for the last couple years now.

Im having a problem when turning on my computer. When I boot it goes to the COMPAQ homescreen (where you have the option to press F10 for setup) and then the boot process stops. It basically turns on then stops when the compaq screen is loaded, never even attempts to continue into XP.

Keyboard is responsive to me pressing F10, but it never goes into the setup screen. Video seems to be working okay as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

amitabh

kf_man

Sorry about the late reply, but I would try taking the hard drive out and putting it back in (take out the two screws and pull out the hard drive carrier, then just put the carrier back in and re-screw it).  If the hard drive isn't making a good connection, the boot process doesn't seem to work properly, sometimes it won't even attempt to boot at all.

gutchak

Try running the BIOS hard drive diagnostics utility. Whatever results you get, you'll know if your drive's defective or not. If its defective, a new drive it'll have to be...

nadler

Quote from: gutchak on October 03, 2008, 11:55:12 AM
Try running the BIOS hard drive diagnostics utility. Whatever results you get, you'll know if your drive's defective or not. If its defective, a new drive it'll have to be...

I have the same problem.  Over the weekend my laptop will no longer get into the BIOS, but still does recognize the F10 key and says it is entering setup.  Obviously, if you can't get into the BIOS you can't run the BIOS hard drive diagnostics utility.  I still need to try to remove my hard drive and run setup.