News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

X1000 video fix needed

Started by Vilhelm, May 18, 2006, 02:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kf_man

My card in my zt3000 never went bad for whatever reason, but due to my needs for a lighter, more powerful laptop I moved to the T60.  My recommendation to most people is that they start to move to other laptops since the zt3000/x1000 laptops have been out of production for almost two years now.

That said, some of them can last forever since my zt3000 is almost three years old and still used pretty extensively by my family, especially my dad.  Hopefully the video card gives out in the next month or so or not at all (I have one month of the three-year warranty left!).

In any event, the decision is up to the user, but the age of the laptop is beginning to shift people away from repair to replacement.  Although I'm sad to see the population die off, I know that it's inevitable.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

MacGyver

I haven't replaced my video card yet. I plan on it.  I've also heard of people having issues with the video cable from the video card to the lcd display going bad and replacing them.  They had positive results.  They tend to run around 30$ on ebay(supposedly new) and would be a last shot attempt if you can't get a refund on your cards.  Worth a shot I believe.

ezgoldin

OK, just replaced my bad 32 MB card with a new 64 MB card, and I'm up and running again.  Next, should I stick with the stock ATI drivers or go with the Omega drivers and try to underclock the new card?

MacGyver

You can if you don't need any kind of performance. Under clocking you card will make it slower.  If you play 3-d games, at least return the clock speed to full when you play.  Many people never have problems.  The other solution is to buy a very small fan and place it under the empty spot of the heat sink.  That's what I did and added a thermal sensor and lost 20 degrees.

ehien

Quote from: ezgoldin on April 21, 2007, 09:18:53 PM
OK, just replaced my bad 32 MB card with a new 64 MB card, and I'm up and running again.  Next, should I stick with the stock ATI drivers or go with the Omega drivers and try to underclock the new card?

Can you tell me where you get your card?

I'm on the 2nd card from "laptoptek" on eBay and it's still bad. I wonder if this seller just sell bad cards as another poster got a bad one too.

ezgoldin

Actually, I got my working card from laptoptek.  It's run perfectly from the instant I installed it.  I even used it to double check the spare MB that I  bought trying to fix my video problems, and made sure that that was in good shape.  I saw that other poster who had trouble with his laptoptek card, but I guess I got a good one.

Which version of the Omega drivers works well?  I just use my laptop for MS Word stuff and web surfing, nothing really video intensive.  If I could cut down on the heat production by underclocking a bit, I think it would be worth a try.

ehien

Good for you!

I've bought a 32MB card from a more reputable eBay seller and the card should arrive in a couple days. If the new card works, I'll fight for a full refund from laptoptek. So far this seller refused to do so.

Quote from: ezgoldin on April 27, 2007, 05:31:41 PM
Actually, I got my working card from laptoptek.  It's run perfectly from the instant I installed it.  I even used it to double check the spare MB that I  bought trying to fix my video problems, and made sure that that was in good shape.  I saw that other poster who had trouble with his laptoptek card, but I guess I got a good one.

Which version of the Omega drivers works well?  I just use my laptop for MS Word stuff and web surfing, nothing really video intensive.  If I could cut down on the heat production by underclocking a bit, I think it would be worth a try.

MattM

I've actually read this all, and thought it might be a bit off topic, I've got to ask. When you would say "firmly apply pressure to 67y keys", how much do you mean? I've got to apply quite a large amount of pressure to the area, not just those specific keys, to get my x1000 up and running again.

ezgoldin

Never so much pressure so that I thought I would damage my keyboard.  Actually, I had better luck getting my X1010 to boot up by pressing down on the plastic trim above the keyboard, just above the 6 and 7 keys.

truckie_ynp

so i finally got the dreaded video card issue after 4 years of use.  I don't know my clock settings, but I pretty much run my LCD screen at full blast (1900x1280 all the time).  I replace the video card with a used one off ebay for $20.  The issue is still the same with the new used card, which is, you can start up the computer, and if you don't move it or touch anything it works fine . . . for a while, then the screen garbles and sometimes crashes.  I re-flowed the connection to the motherboard and I thought it was working better for a while (without anyone touching it, it went all the way to the screen sleep, but upon light tapping the video card, the screen garbles again, although I few times, it didn't crash and cleared up again).  it seems to work fine for a little while, just as long as it doesn't move or get touched.
I used the computer this morning, transfering some files, so its very frusterating since it appears that everthing is working fine except for one small problem, and I'd hate to call it a day when the laptop is running so close to perfect.

any help?

tns1

It has been more than a year since I replaced the video card and RAM stick and I have had zero problems. I stand by my original conclusion that the problem is poor electrical contact due to a warped card/connectors. If you can manage to 'unwarp' the connectors or put enough pressure on the video card to flatten it out, it will probably work again, but the pressure needed to do this may be more than the case and heatsink can apply. Only a new card will be totally flat again, and even then you may need to replace or re-bend (as I did) the sides of the female connectors on the MB to make good contact. If your system still works sometimes, do a thorough memory test before you assume its the video card.

I still have my original card which is visibly warped, but the chips on it are probably fine. If anyone wants it, $20 will save it from the trash.

pchaxor

I recently got a one of these free, appears the user got tired of the video/lockup issue and leaned it against a wall with a "FREE" sign on it.
Story: I spent some time ripping it it apart and discovered the relation to the overheating damage and the video card. (before reading all of this.)
Diagnosis: The airflow in the laptop case is horrible. Long term use causes permanent warping of the carriage, mainboard and video card. (over time ~2 years.)
The problem is not the "power on thermal temperature", but the long term already existing thermal damage that eventually prevents the board to boot.
MAKE SURE YOUR HAVE A GOOD CARD PRIOR TO THIS FIX!

THIS CANNOT BE UNDONE

My Solution was to superglue the 2 sockets that go from the video card to the mainboard. (see service manual.)
Place a light bead of glue on the inside track of the mainboard connectors; be very ACCURATE and HOLD it tight to the mainboard for at least 2 minutes. (your finger will hurt afterwards.)

Keep In mind....
- I had $0.00 into this laptop and just wanted it to work. I didn't care, it was free.
- I got the card to work prior to doing this fix by applying pressure and re seating it first.
- I had 3 full tubes of superglue available.
- I had 3 beers in me and just got sexed up.

SUPERGLUE IS YOUR FRIEND!
DO NOT USE SUPERGLUE DURING SEX!

skyfox

Hey,

Thanks for all the information from this forum. I also have a compaq x1000 laptop bought on 2003. Same video issuse happened. I tried my own way to fix it. Now it works pretty well.

For some ppl who want to have a try, below is my solution:

I found the problem is the loosen connection between two sockets:
1. socket between video card and mother board; and
2. socket between mother board with external monitor cable.

So, I fixed it by:
1. Put a rubber/glue it between the heat sink and video card, and tighten it by the default screws.
2. Put a clip between the claw of the heat sink and screw to fix the external monitor socket.
Then everything works well as before!

See attached images for instruction.

http://kittyfox.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!7D5BB0479B5170E4!898.entry

huffery

My x1000 have the same problem now. It wont boot and blank dispaly
and dead after three secs. But I press f6 and it booted! so it was not the
electric problem but was the machnic problem. I have full confidence to
fix it. I will fix it today and told you the result!.

I bought it in 2003 and heavely used it for 5 years.
I have open the x1000 many times to fix the Dc jack problem.
so it is a easy job for me.

huffery

I put something between the Vedio Card and the metal shield.
But the situation was the same. Occationally it boot up
when press F6.

I am using the XP system and found all the devises are working
fine. why it refuse to boot up?

The old laptop doesnt die, it just refuse to work any more ?