News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

Max size HD Upgrade?

Started by rurabe, June 16, 2008, 05:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rurabe

Does anyone know if there is a maximum size hard drive that can be installed on the X1000?  I see in another topic that many people have upgraded to 160GB, but there are now 2.5" drives up to 320, and I was wondering if anybody knew that those drives would work similarly well.

X1000 forums are the best.  Glad to see someone resurrected the community :)

kf_man

I can't see any reason why those drives wouldn't work, but I don't know of anyone who has used them.  When in doubt, buy from somewhere with a return policy I guess.

bili_39

Hm, I don't see any drive bigger than WD 250 for IDE. It should works fine, just don't buy SATA drives ;-)

rurabe

Ah... so SATA drives will not work?  It needs to be ATA-6?  Sorry I am such a noob, but I haven't followed HDD technology closely enough over the past few years.

Does this one look like itll work?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136159

kf_man

Yes, it has to be ATA-6 or IDE, SATA will not work.

The drive you listed there should work just fine, but just be warned that I haven't tried this myself and can't say for sure.

-Kyle

nehopsa

I am just trying WD Scrorpio Blue 320GB PATA. No success so far. Cannot figure it out.

My previous installation with Hitachi 160 GB (two years ago) was a charm so I expected no evil.

Wrong.

So far I keep cycling between "loading files" and rebooting endlessly. No options out...keep giving me choice to format (which I did, no problem), choosing partition and installing OS ....and after "loading files" it informs me everything is OK and would continue after reboot. Wrong. After reboot it either asks for "strike any key" and do the same again...or announces to me "cd reading error" if I do not press the keyboard with vicious cycle repeating.

I already read several treads but no help so far. Slipstreaming to integrate sp2 and create bootable xp sp2 cd was useless. (I had sp1 integrated already and sp1 is all it takes to recognize larger than 136GB drives).

The safest will be to return the hdd before time runs out.

Better suggestions? Is there "block in bios" or some other trickery???

Any suggestion greatly appreciated.

bili_39

Very strange. Obviously hardware is recognised OK, as it allows disc to be formated and files copied to it. There are problems with writing boot sector. But HP doesn't have any protection in BIOS, or does it?

I had some problems with my Samsung at first. After it has been checked in bios (option check disk), everything was OK.

Try making a smaller partition.