News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

upgrade LCD

Started by muzicman0, June 05, 2008, 02:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muzicman0

Hi, I ended up getting an x1000 after a client left it at my house for over a year and a half.  It currently has a ATI9000 video card and a standard wxga LCD.  I found a compatible wsxga LCD (1680x1050)...can I just put this in (yes, I know how to work on laptops - at least a little...already replace vid card) and have it work, or do I need to upgrade anything else?
thanks!
mm0

kf_man

I believe the graphics card is fine, but I seem to remember something about a interface cable and possibly a different backlight inverter...  Sorry I can't be more help though.

muzicman0

according to the service manual, there is only one inverter listed, however, I did just see a different cable on ebay...maybe I will pick one up just in case...
thanks!
mm0

muzicman0

I recieved the screen today, and it fit in beautifully, no problems...but...I haven't recd the new cable, so I will have to wait a few days before I can put it all back together...I will keep you informed on whether it works.

kf_man

So it did require a new interface cable?

muzicman0

yep, just got it in yesterday, it works great!  I got the screen for ~$100, and the cable for ~$39, so not a bad investment.

Basically, I got the laptop for free, and replaced the CPU (1.3 to 1.7 Dothan), replaced the LCD (wxga to wsxga+), and am putting a gig of ram into it...will have everything done for less than $250...not bad.

Oh, as a side note, I did not have to replace the inverter for the LCD, the existing worked fine, and according to the service manual, there was only one, no matter what the LCD was...

mm0

mikebetz42

Cool, I will be looking for a WUXGA screen.... any one have one they want to part with?

-Mike