News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

Replacing/Upgrading the LCD

Started by excogitation, August 10, 2006, 11:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

excogitation

I want to buy a LCD from a X1000, NX7000 or ZT3200 for
my zt3280us, to get one with a higher resolution than 1280x800.

Is it that simple or what else do I have to replace?

kf_man

It's not that simple, at the very least you need the new screen and a new harness to connect it.  I seem to remember it being more complicated then that though.  I know that the connection to the WXGA screen was different than the WSXGA+ and higher.  Hopefully someone else around here has a little bit more info for you.

Mozart_X

Are you able to get a replacement LCD at a reasonable price?
Compaq Presario X1000
Pentium M 1.8 GHz
Windows XP Pro SP2
1.5GB PC2100 RAM
Travelstar 60GB 7200RPM HD
DVD/CDRW Combo
Intel Pro Wireless 2100 & Bluetooth
15.4" WSXGA+
64MB Radeon 9200

er_nordico

Hi, would anyone have a clue to find cross matches for lcd screens (need wsxga one and wish not use the compaq sparepart number...)
thanx

kf_man

The big thing to remember is that the upgraded LCD screen requires other upgraded components.  Although I never did it myself, I remember others saying that the interface cable was different between the WXGA and WSXGA+ screens.  Possibly other different parts are required (backlight transformer?).  At this point, it's probably not cost-effective to attempt a screen upgrade on this notebook since the resources for researching and purchasing a new screen are just not there anymore.

mclark2112

I just bought a 1920x1200 LCD off ebay. It was listed as for a X1000 or Dell, they are all about the same. It had the cable attached and it fit in the machine perfectly. Works like a charm. Video card recognized it automatically. Just search for WUXGA 15.4 or WSXGA+ on ebay. Oh yeah, got it for $150...

ZT3000

Replacing an LCD usually means replacing the companion inverter (usually attached under the LCD itself).
Reason is, the inverter supplies a particular voltage and amperage to the screen, not to mention the compatible wiring.

A good place for instructions on repairing your own LCD, with instructional pictures is:
http://www.lcdparts.net/

Enjoy.

bwbuy

I was fortunate to find a complete ZT3000 1920x1200 lid & LCD on eBay for $200.  A bit expensive, but it was the entire lid, not just the LCD.  So it included the inverter and it was a simple replacement. It looks great, detail is amazing,  but it sure has tiny fonts. Thanks goodness I have good computer glasses.

Funny how the lid change instantly converted my Compaq x1000 to an HP zt3000, at least based on the logo.

Cheers,

-BWBuy

mikebetz42

Quote from: ZT3000 on August 18, 2007, 02:37:06 PM
Replacing an LCD usually means replacing the companion inverter (usually attached under the LCD itself).
Reason is, the inverter supplies a particular voltage and amperage to the screen, not to mention the compatible wiring.

I upgraded today from a wxga to a wuxga..... you will need a new cable from the LCD to the video card and the wuxga LCD........  The xuxga cable has more connections to the LCD.

Thats it!

-Mike