News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

Processor upgrade questions

Started by toall, December 02, 2007, 02:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toall

Hi,I have X1010EA 1.5 ghz  banias 479

What maxium processor update?

bwbuy

Hi,

Bottom line,  it should take the 765 2.1 GHz Dothans, but I don't recommend it.

I have an x1050 and a x1020,  I upgraded both to 765 CPUs, 2.1 GHz Dotham Pentium M , BUT they both overheat and will shut down when I run processor intensive apps or World of Warcraft.  I kept one installed but I use Notebook Hardware Control (NHC) to set the max speed to 1.6 GHz, so that CPU expense was a waste of money. 

I also have HMonitor installed on both of these systems since it seems to be the only program I could find to monitor the CPU temp.  With the 2.1 CPUs I've seen the temp go to 90 C -- and the system shuts down!

IMHO, the problem is the cooling design and fan speed.  The Motherboard will accept the newer faster chips, but I think the system was engineered for a max CPU of 1.7 Banias.

I also have installed the 745 1.8GHz Dothans.  They're better priced on eBay and I put one of those back into the X1020.  It typically runs at about 45 C. and will climb to 70 C if I play WoW.  I can also throttle it down with NHC, if I need to.

I also have external USB fans running under these notebooks to help with cooling. 

I recommend only going as high as 1.8GHz.

YMMV.

Good luck.

-BWBuy

Mr Cin

Of course you can upgrade higher - my 2GHz Dothan is running at a reasonable 70deg C at full load, 50deg C idle.  Clean out the junk in your radiator!