News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

squeaky lcd hinges

Started by ghus, July 08, 2005, 08:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghus

whats the best solution for that? Replace the hinges or just lubricate them? Replacing the hinges would require to send the laptop to compaq and I am positive that I will receive it with more problems than just that. has anybody replaced them succesfully? In case I do it my self what would be the best oil, grease for the purpose?

kf_man

I haven't read anything about people replacing the hinges themselves, but I have read some attempts at oiling them. I believe that the overall feeling was that oiling them didn't really work very well. Even so, if you were to attempt it, I would recommend that you use some sort of viscous oil and apply it with the edge of a sheet of paper. That way you don't get oil all over the place and inside the computer. The reason I don't think that this will work very well is that the hinge sqeak seems to be caused by the tightness of the hinges, not the lubrication. My hinges are a little tight, when opening the lid I can lift the bottom of the computer, but a certain amount of force should be required.

I will say that tight hinges have been shown to cause some premature wear and tear on the machine, especially the plastic bezels. If you think that it's really bad, I would skip the oil and just send it to HP. Make sure that before you do, you get some good pictures of the laptop including the sticker with the serial number and other identifying information. This way if you do have a problem with their support, you will have something to fight with. It may not be worth it to you, so that is a decision you will have to make.

In the other forum this was a heated issue where some people would have it and some people wouldn't. I will make this sticky so others can explore this as well.

toy4two

out of all the lubricants WD-40 worked best and hasn't squeeked since (6 monthes).  The others needed to be reapplied every month.

Burton_rider

I used som WD40 to good effect - the important thing is to cover the rest of the laptop with tissue or paper and then carefully applying a small ammount.
Compaq X1000
Pentium M Dothan 1.6 GHz
Windows XP Home
1GB PC2700 RAM
80 GB 5400 RPM HD
Dual Layer DVD Burner
Intel Pro Wireless 2200 & Bluetooth
15.4" WUXGA
64MB Radeon 9200

dok_indo

WD-40 worked best for me, but I had to expose the hinges by removing the front screen panel to make it effective (spraying without this didn't work).  I only wish I had done this sooner because like many of you I got cracks on the plastic screen border from the tight hinges.

quietas

I found a product called Tri-Flow works better than most spray lubricants, especially WD40 since it really isn't a made specifically as a lubricant. Tri-Flow does the standard lubrication plus has Teflon in it so the slickness ends up lasting longer. Also a dry lubricant such as graphite works if you disassemble the hinge.
Quietas
X1000 CTO
1.5 ghz, 768 mb RAM, 40 gb HD
64 mb Radeon 9whatever00
Atheros 5004 A/B/G Wireless (F.34 BIOS)
DVD/CDRW Combo (stock)
No Bluetooth (pm if sellign one cheap)

deluxe

I used Liquid Wrench Super Penetrant a year ago, and the top still moves smoothly and quietly.  They oughta use it at the factory!

whyagain2005

Same problem in my zt3000. I sent it to HP - first they said 15 days repair. Then it was 20 days then they said spares are not available and then returned me the machine with conclusion:
The hinge system in this model is relatively tight and general characteristic of model.

I wrote to the HP again to reconsider but they dont seem to care.

romeon

I also used WD40 1,5 years ago. The lid still moves smooth, no squeaks anymore. I unscrewed both hinges from display and laptop and gave them plenty of WD40. Before they were extremely hard to bend, afterwards it was much better.
nx7000 1.5 ~ 1GB ~ Seagate 100GB ~ DVD/CDRW ~ Intel 802.11g

excogitation

Same here.
Feared the LCD might crack because the hinges were barely moving.
Screwed them off, put some WD40 in 1,5 years ago / since then
everything is working perfectly fine.

toy4two

WD4o is your friend.  Fixed mine, going on a year now.

excogitation

Seems as if most x1000 users are great DIY-men...

WD-40 worked well for me - no more squeaky noises for over a year now!

toy4two

heh 2 years and the WD40 hinges STILL don't squeak