News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

just thought you all should know....

Started by nmope, September 25, 2007, 08:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nmope

hello!!! this forum needs a wakeup lol :)

just saw something interesting and wanted to post for all the x1000 users still out there...my X is going on 4 years strong!!!

to celebrate a strong 4 years, i just bought an Antec notebook cooler. got it all setup and running nicely and it dropped the temperature of my hitachi 72k60 from 48C to 35C on low speed...i'm sure at high speed it would be even lower. as great as that is, that is not why i'm posting.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834999850

so as i'm filling in the mail in rebate form, i turn the box around to cut out the UPC. to my surprise, i notice a very familiar picture on the box: they have a picture of the X1000 as demonstration model!!! you can even read presario x1000 on the lcd...

i think it's great that as this cooler is copyright 2005 and antec could have picked any random notebook for picture purposes but they went with the X (and it still looks damn sexy on the picture) i'm really glad i went with this laptop instead of a random dell dimension 4 years ago...

here's to another 4 years!

bwbuy

I'm awake.  lol

Nice post.  I just got one of those Antec coolers, but haven't opened it up yet.  I have an x1050 (seriously upgraded) and a x1020 (CPU and WiFi upgrades).  I have 765 Pentium M Dothan 2.1 GHz CPU's in both. 

They tend to run REALLY hot whenever the CPU is cranking and the graphic card is stressed.  I can play World of Warcraft on both (1900x1200, with 64MB video at 17 FPS - low detail), but after about 20 minutes they'lll crash from the heat. 

They will go to 100.0 C and then crash.  I'm surprised the video or CPUs haven't died from the heat.  I didn't know they were getting that hot before monitoring the temp.   I tried a lot of programs to try to find out the CPU temp.

Finally, I discovered and installed Hmonitor Pro utility to track the CPU temps and to "throttle" down the system by 37.5% (adjustable) when the temps are between 64 - 70 C. (also a setting).

The thermocontrol and HDD temp are features of the Pro version.

Right now, with only the internal fan, and just typing, the CPU hovers around 42 C.  CPU is loafing at around 600 GHz.  HD is at 38.0 C.

I'm not sure how Hmonitor does its "throttling".  I'm also running Notebook Hardware Control 2.0 (NHC) and it doesn't show the CPU changing speeds when Hmonitor thermocontrol  kicks in. 

I wish NHC showed the CPU temp, but I haven't managed to get that working.

At work, I also have a plastic 3-fan USB-powered base that I use under the X1020 and it dropped the temps down about 20.0 C. 

Since I keep the x1050 at home, I wanted the Antec cooler for at home.  I'll try it out tonight and see how well it controls the temp.

I may downgrade the CPU's to 1.8 GHz 745s.  I had one of those in the X1050 and it seems to be more stable - heat wise.  The 1.8 Dothans are closer to the original 1.7 Banias CPUs for which these were engineered.

Cheers,

-BWBuy