News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

CPU upgrade

Started by ghus, July 08, 2005, 08:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghus

Does anybody still have those tutorials with the HiRes jpegs of how to upgrade the CPU for example, or opening up the LCD, getting to the video card etc???

kf_man

All I can say on this is that I don't have any of that info.  In hindsight, it was a bad move, but I don't think anyone saw this coming.  I would like to ask that if anyone has any information or pictures, please let me know so that I can work on getting them up.  I wish I could be more of a help, but I have a 3-year extended warranty and I really can't go and void that.  Hopefully some brave sole has taken or will take their laptop apart and has some good information and pictures to go along with it.

haxx

This is all I could find:

Somebody's hosting the entire "under the hood" pics at http://occpl.com/x1000/.  At least I think they're the "under the hood" pics.

Do you want the text too?  You can probably get it from Google's cache: http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:8XEX4XxJz8MJ:www.x1000forums.com/index.php%3Fshowtopic%3D869+site:x1000forums.com+upgrade+your+processor&hl=en&client=firefox-a

I'll paste the text for the Processor Upgrade:

QuoteBefore you can upgrade your processor you need to carry out the instructions in this topic:

Getting under the hood of your X1000 w/ pics

Ok, that was easy, now lets:

Remove the heatsink:

* Remove the four screws and associated springs
   * Lift heatsink/pipe assembly up and out of the case
     Note: These pictures are taken with the lcd and top cover removed. It is not necessary to remove these items when performing the processor upgrade.
     user posted image

Remove the processor:

* Rotate the zif socket screw one-hundred eighty degrees towards the unlock position
   * Lift processor out of socket

user posted image

Replacing the processor:

* Installation is the reverse of removal, however:
   * Take care to align the correct corners of the socket and processor
     together
   * Insure that adequate heatsink compound or tape is present between processor and heatsink to allow proper heat dissipation.

* Screw installation:

* Barely thread each screw and spring through the heatsink into the motherboard bosses, when all four screws are in:
   * Following the numbering pattern shown on the heatsink:
   * Tighten each screw until it bottoms out in its boss. The springs will properly seat the heatsink against the processor.

user posted image

Now you just slap the rest of the case back together and put a fork in it, it's done!

-Dan

kf_man

I'll get to work on hosting the images and posting the information.  Thanks for the great detective work!

kf_man

I have rescued the pages for "Getting Under the Hood," "Upgrading the CPU," and "Upgrading the Video Card."  I will also try to rescue the Bluetooth install tutorial as well.