News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

Just upgraded to Dothan

Started by toy4two, February 22, 2008, 09:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toy4two

Man I love tinkering with this old X1000.

Today I found a Dothan 1.7 CPU inside some old ThinkPad junkers we were about to throw out because they won't boot and are out of warranty.  They use the same ram as the X1000 and the ThinkPad T42's all had Dothans in them. 

So thanks to this web site still being up I said what the heck and tried to swap one in, thanks for keeping the X1000 site going all these years kf, those disassembly pics are  awesome, I never would have been able to do it without those.

Turned out great, I was afraid the reason the old T42's weren't booting was because of fried CPUs, but it must have been something else that failed.    Note I have Hmonitor running and even at full 1.7Mhz the temp never goes above 60 degrees even when running Hot CPU Tester.  Whoever on here was over heating with their Dothan 2.1 should disassmble their case and remove the huge dust hairball in the heatsink assembly and try again, make sure you clean the CPU and heatsink with electrical contact cleaner and apply brand new Artic Silver.

Here are my CPU-Z results.

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=318828

Mr Cin

Seconded, thanks for the useful site.

I came about a Dell with a busted screen heading for the skip.  Managed to scrounge the 2x 1gig memory modules and the 2.0GHz Dothan, both working quite happily and stable at 70 degC under full load (Hmonitor for temp, Hot CPU Tester for stress test and Everest for everything else).

I'm just about to swap the wireless cards from B to G, which fingers crossed will be painless, and maybe mess about with the Dell GPU once I've had time to properly gut it.

Shame the chipset's not a 915 - I recently successfully pin-modded an old Celeron to overclock by 33% - this Dothan 2GHz is screaming to be ramped up...

Again, thanks for a great site - the above tinkering could not have been possible.  Probably.

EDIT: forgot to mention the 7200rpm HDD which works a charm.  Scavenging FTW!.

audioman

Yeah thanks for this forum, I was able to upgrade my 1.3GHz Banias (stock) to a 1.6 GHz Dothan. But my x1000 gets kinda hot. ~53 degC when idle.. and reaches 70-75 degC during cpu intensive applications are running even though I already cleaned the fan (it was really dusty... a wall of dust already accumulated) and the heat sink.

mikebetz42

Make sure you install the heatsink correctly, and clean off all the old heat sink compound really good.  Make sure you add new heat sink compound and not too much! Just a dot is enough. I have been running a 2ghz Dothan in mine for over a year with no problems!

-Mike