News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

processor upgrade question

Started by seadonkey, May 11, 2007, 08:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadonkey

i have a pentium m 1.4 GHz in the x1085cl and I am thinking of upgrading to the pentium m 755 2.0 GHz--> is the x1085cl compatible with pentium m 755?  And will there be a difference?  Is it worth it?  My main uses for the computer are for movies, one game--chess Fritz 10 which is not graphic heavy at all, and typing/internet.  It just seems sluggish compared to my desktop, thats why I wanted to upgrade.

kf_man

Do you have the processor already?  How much are they going for these days?  I believe that any Pentium M processor will work, Banias or Dothan.  The best thing to do would be to use CPU-Z to find out as much as you can about your current processor and motherboard.  Use this information when shopping for the new one.

Even with the upgrade, I'm not sure it's worth it.  The biggest downfall in your case is most likely the graphics card, but it's not clear what type it is or what sort of graphics intensive tasks you do.  You will probably notice a marginal difference in speed, but I don't know if the price, work, and possible damage are really worth it.  That's just my two cents.

elms

My first time in a technical forum... I was seaching for info on upgrading my X1032AP and found this truly useful resource. I'm planning to upgrade the RAM and CPU to prolong the life of this machine. It has served me quite well except the original HDD died and the DVD-ROM/CD-RW is now half dead.

Has anyone successfully installed the 2.1GHz Dothan processor by now? I'm thinking that or the 2.0GHz. I notice that there seems to be 2 versions of every model. For instance, the 1.70GHz Banias has SL6N9 (Socket 479)(PN RJ###) and SL6N5 (Socket 478)(PN RH###). Are the 478-pin and 479-pin versions interchangeable or are actually the same thing? How do I find out if my CPU is actually SL6F6 (479) or SL6F9 (478) without taking the casing apart or does it really matter? CPU-Z shows that my CPU package is Socket 479 mPGA. However, SL7EM (2.0GHz) and SL7V3 (2.1GHz) are Socket 478 so I'm quite confused. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks!
1.8GHz Dothan
1.25GB RAM (1GB Apacer DDR400 CL3 + 256MB Elpida DDR266 CL2)
Mobility Radeon 64MB
Seagate 60GB 5400rpm
IPW2100

Lomnica_city

Actualy me and kf_man had that same dilemma a while ago when I was upgrading my processor,and I think the only thing you should look for is the package label,is it mPGA or mBGA and make sure that the FSB is 400,I think the versions ending with 5 and the ones ending with 8 (I think,those are low voltage models) don't have to fit for sure,but others ending with 0 should fit for sure,I bought one 1.6GHz Dothan (instead of Banias@1.3GHz) last year for 70 euros,and now they go for half that price so you won't lose much if you go ahead and buy one!!
Pozdrav
Zoki

elms

Thanks, Zoki! I've done more research and I gather that the 478-pin mPGAs definitely work on the Socket 479 mPGA. Not sure about the 479-ball mBGAs though. Did the 1.6 GHz Dothan give much noticeable improvement over the 1.3GHz Banias?

Mike
1.8GHz Dothan
Mobility Radeon 64MB
Seagate 60GB 5400rpm
IPW2100

humsap

I didn't notice much of a performance improvement when I upgraded my 1.4GHz CPU to a 2.0GHz Dothan CPU two years ago.
Compaq Presario X1020US
Pentium M 755 2.0GHz CPU, 2GB PC2700 Kingston RAM, 60GB 7200rpm HD, 8x DVD-RW, Intel 2200BG Wireless, HP Bluetooth module.

elms

Wow, this processor is almost as far as upgrades could go when it comes to the X1000. I suppose RAM upgrades do have a bigger impact on performance compared to processor then.
1.8GHz Dothan
Mobility Radeon 64MB
Seagate 60GB 5400rpm
IPW2100

bwbuy

FYI,  when I did my upgrades back in March 07,  I did lots of research and ended up with a 1.8 Dothan.  Price was $95 off eBay. 
Here's seller's description:  "SL7EN 1.80 GHz 400 MHz 18 2 MB Pentium M 745 Processor".  I can vouch that the SL7EN works fine in my X1050.
This is still my main laptop for home use.

-BWBuy

x1050, 768MB, 60GB 7200rpm, 1.8GHz Dothan, Bluetooth, 2200BG
Sharp M4000, 1GB, 100GB 7200, 1.7GHz Dothan, WiFi G
Apple iBook G4 12", 1.2GB, 40GB 5400, 1.2GHz PowerPC, Airport G

Lomnica_city

Quote from: elms on June 27, 2007, 03:57:30 PM
Thanks, Zoki! I've done more research and I gather that the 478-pin mPGAs definitely work on the Socket 479 mPGA. Not sure about the 479-ball mBGAs though. Did the 1.6 GHz Dothan give much noticeable improvement over the 1.3GHz Banias?

Mike
Oh yeah,laptop worked faster and the battery life jumped from very good (3-3 and 1/2 hours on average,4 if you do something"light"with lower screen light) to excelent (4 hours on average,over 5 hours if you only surf or do something"light"like that with your laptop with lower screen light) with a battery holding about 90% of original factory capacity!!
My brother is still using that 1005EA and he's pleased with it cause he uses it as a mulitimedia device (mostly movies) and for surfing since it's not very good for gaming and"hard work"and I barely found this Dothan in Serbia (we are not on paypal list so no ebay is available for shopping) so further upgrade was dificult and not worth the money,therefore I moved forward since I needed something with faster memory,better graphics and even better CPU for ArchiCAD and 3D Studio Max so I bought HP nx9420!! :) Hope my English was good enough and that you're happy with my answer!?
Pozdrav from Serbia!
Zoki

elms

That's a pretty good improvement. I watch moveis with mine regularly too. Now that I got it upgraded to 1GB RAM, the movies run smoother (though still not perfect).  I've been asking around the local shops but I've yet to find either a new or used Dothan. You guys who live in the US are really lucky.

My dad has a Toshiba Satellite M100 (Core Duo T2300@1.66GHz, 1GB DDR2 533, 256MB Mobility Radeon X1300) that I could often borrow since he makes use of his desktop most of the time and seldom touches the notebook. However, I still prefer my X1000 because of the larger screen. I'd like it even more if I get my Dothan CPU ;)

Zoki, your English is pretty good and your answer is most helpful. Its just wonderful that people from all over the world can get help and share their experiences here.
1.8GHz Dothan
Mobility Radeon 64MB
Seagate 60GB 5400rpm
IPW2100

elms

Finally upgraded my CPU today. Got a pretty good deal from a guy with an Acer notebook with a dead MB. Its a Dothan 1.8GHz and sold for an equivalent USD64. He even gave me 2 free thermal pads. I did find a new Dothan 2.0GHz but it was selling for a whopping USD230 so definitely wasn't worthwhile.

I didn't install the thermals properly (overlapping and ragged) so hope it won't bite me later. Had a few anxious moments because I made a hash with the heatsink fan (accidentally pulled the wires out of the sockets and got it mixed up). The system refused to boot until I corrected it.

There is only a slight noticeable performance increase but the back on the notebook isn't as hot as it used to be. Higher speed, double L2 cache & lower power consumption (less heat) over my old 1.5GHz Banias. Overall, I'm quite pleased with the new CPU and for successfully making the upgrade :)
1.8GHz Dothan
Mobility Radeon 64MB
Seagate 60GB 5400rpm
IPW2100

Lomnica_city

Told you so! ;) My new HP nx9420 has C2D 5600 2x1,83GHz Merom and it's hot like hell,the fan is working almost non-stop and it's not pleasant to work on because of that,but it was necesary upgrade since I now render a building much much faster,and overal performance is great,if it wasn't for the heat and fan noise I wouldn't be sorry for giving my good old X1005EA to my brother,but I miss the silence and the"cool"work on it,however it looks like all CD and C2D are hot,so keep your X1000 working as long as posible,until something cooler gets out on the market!!
Pozdrav from Serbia
Zoki