News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

Problem reading USB hard drives

Started by seadonkey, May 11, 2007, 07:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadonkey

SPECS:
x1085cl with windows xp pro
1.4 gHz
1.25 gHz RAM
80 gHz HDD
ATI 9200 Video Card

Okay so I dont know if this is a windows issue or laptop issue.  When I plug in a usb harddrive (fujitsu 100 gig) windows (or the laptop does not recognize it or assign a drive letter.  So it does not show up in 'my computer.'  When I go to the device manager there is a little yellow question mark under usb port area.  Install there but still doesnt work.  The only way I can view the portable hdd is to go to disk manager-->assign drive letter-->then it opens, but not in 'my computer'

side note:  I can only name files 8 characters in length and no spaces which is frustrating when transfering files.

HELP!!!

kf_man

Does this drive work on another computer, it's entirely possible that the drive is drawing too much power and not spinning up properly.  When I exchanged the 40GB in my external enclosure for a 100GB, the enclosure was no longer able to power up the drive.  I ended up having to buy a new enclosure.  I'm not sure if this is the same problem, but it sure sounds like it.

seadonkey

the portable hdd works on my desktop, and i've tried it in other laptops and it works.  Someone was telling me it was a windows issue.  Oh and I have windows HOME edition on the laptop and PRO on the desktop.  The drive runs fine, it just isnt assigned a drive letter when i stick it in the usb port.  the portable drive is a fijitsu 80 gb hard drive.