News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

Lightscribe drive

Started by restoguy, April 04, 2007, 05:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

restoguy

I'm looking to put a lightscribe drive in my X1K.  I'm thinking that a drive from an X6000 would work.  Although I might have to change the drive door(is that what it's called?).  Have any of you guys done an upgrade like this?  Is it hard to change the plastic on the drive?  Any thoughts from you guys are appreciated.

kf_man

The drive door, or bezel, for the drives are extremely specific.  They are usually only compatible between drives from the same manufacturer.  I never bothered to upgrade the drive in my zt3000, but I would have done so with a Toshiba drive since my bezel was designed to fit Toshiba drives.  In any event, the drives themselves are usually compatible as long as it's ATAPI/IDE which most drives are.  Some are starting to ship SATA, so be careful about that since the interface is different.  Other than that, the drives are very standard across the board.