News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

VISTA RTM - working???

Started by KamaL, November 11, 2006, 07:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KamaL

Hi all...

I just got the RTM version of VISTA, and I'm interested on trying it out on my HP ZT3000..
My specs:

Intel Dothan 1.6 GHZ
768 MB RAM
ATI RADEON 9200 (9000) 64 MB
60 GB hitachi HD
1280x800 monitor.

Anyobody already tried this one?? Or maybe RC2, which is almost identical to RTM??

I read there is a problem with the graphics driver - is there a solution already??

Thanks in advance

kf_man

Have not tried it yet.  As far as I know there has been no true solution to the graphics problem.  So far I've just been holding myself back from upgrading to Vista.

deluxe

I'm about to make the leap, hence my visit here.  If the drivers are still messed up (as I expect), I'll hook it up to my external monitor and install the old v5.6 drivers.

UPDATE: There isn't an ATI driver on the RTM disc, so it boots up just fine with "standard vga" as the display type.  However, because I had selected automatic updates it went and automatically downloaded a the latest ATI driver and installed on reboot.  Machine then booted up with the messed screen we've all come to expect from ATI.

Solution is to NOT enable automatic updates when you install Vista RTM, install Catalyst v5.6 (Omega version or other notebook-enabled version), then re-enable automatic updates (but look out for the ATI drivers...)

KamaL

Quote from: deluxe on November 15, 2006, 07:37:02 AM
I'm about to make the leap, hence my visit here.  If the drivers are still messed up (as I expect), I'll hook it up to my external monitor and install the old v5.6 drivers.

cool, let us know about the results..

Good luck :)

kf_man

deluxe, that's good to hear, does that have the proper 3d acceleration?  The graphics drivers are a real show stopper for me.

deluxe

I installed the Omega drivers based on Catalyst 5.6, and while they appeared to install correctly, they weren't in use on reboot.  So I manually installed the drivers using the old "Have Disk..." route that you should all be familiar with.  Vista then rebooted with the drivers and a proper looking screen, but complained about the ATI Control Panel being incompatible with Vista.

When I pull up the POWERPLAY settings for the card they seem unusable.  I don't know about 3D performance, I assume it's fine, but for me whats important is underclocking the card to reduce the heat so that this card doesn't die like the previous one did.

Looks like I'll have to find a separte clocking utility or wage yet another attempt at making Frankendrivers.

KamaL

Quote from: deluxe on November 15, 2006, 06:34:04 PM
I installed the Omega drivers based on Catalyst 5.6, and while they appeared to install correctly, they weren't in use on reboot.  So I manually installed the drivers using the old "Have Disk..." route that you should all be familiar with.  Vista then rebooted with the drivers and a proper looking screen, but complained about the ATI Control Panel being incompatible with Vista.

This is truly good news :)   I guess I'll check it now on my laptop, and let you know how it goes :P

No Aero effects I guess, right??

BTW - do u think it will run smooth on my laptop (specs above)??? is the RAM enough for regular use??

Thanks for the heads up

bili_39

I tried out RC1 and RC2, and 768 MB should be enough. I have only 512 MB and Vista runs just fine.

KamaL

Quote from: bili_39 on November 17, 2006, 02:22:05 AM
I tried out RC1 and RC2, and 768 MB should be enough. I have only 512 MB and Vista runs just fine.

Oh, great :)

BTW - I'm planning to install it on another partition, not the XP one... Do i Have to format the partition, or there's no need???

bili_39

i have allways installed it on fresly formated partition (quick format is enough). If you have separated partitions, its easy ... :)

KamaL

Ok guys, just installed it on a second partition without formatting, and it works great!!!

As deluxe stated, Vista automatically updated the ATI drivers, and it was a complete mess, but I could easily "update" the drivers to the old working omega drivers, and everything went fine.

I actually ahd a balck screen!! something I never had on XP, but I guess it was the fault of the ATI control panel...I forced it to work even if vista informed that it isn't supported... So I guess it was my fault :S

anyway, Vista runs very fast, botting is quick too... maybe because it's still a fresh install with not much programs in it...

Aero obviously doesn't work, and I get a very low index because of the gfx card...

I'll keep trying it and let you know how it goes :D

have fun

bili_39

When you say: booting is fast - do you actualy boot your laptop, or just press power button?
Vista defaults to stand by (or sleep) when you press power button.

Do you see HP boot screen, when you boot?

KamaL

Quote from: bili_39 on November 19, 2006, 05:49:22 AM
When you say: booting is fast - do you actualy boot your laptop, or just press power button?
Vista defaults to stand by (or sleep) when you press power button.

No, I mean actual booting, when turning it on..  768Mb seem to be quite enough, but I'll test it more deeply when I start using it as my primary OS (which i'm almost doing right now)..

Do you see HP boot screen, when you boot?

yes, sure, after the HP logo, a menu shows up letting you select between Vista and "previous operating system" (XP)

bili_39

Well, thanks.
As far as I can tell, Vista boots slower for me.