News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

whining noise from cpu

Started by cifroes, October 03, 2006, 12:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cifroes

Hi,

This is a common problem with x1000 and similar models: a noise coming from the cpu, like little "shocks" or something like that.

I got this noise after reinstalling windows xp pro, i must have done something with my old windows because there weren't any noise.

Anyone knows how to fix this noise?

kf_man

What power mode do you have your computer set to?  I believe one of them makes it always run at maximum speed.  You may also want to check out Notebook Hardware Control which monitors and sets the CPU behavior.

cifroes

It's in laptop.

The noise is not the fan noise, it's really a weird "electrical" noise near the cpu.

kf_man

I know that, but it was found that it depended on the power mode that computer is in.  Usually in the mode "Always On" it will set the CPU to full speed and not allow it to throttle.  That caused a high-pitched electrical noise that was pretty annoying.  Usually you should set the computer to use the "Notebook/Portable" mode as that allows the processor to scale frequency.  Notebook Hardware Control just lets you have a bit more control over the process.

jrmarto

Hi - I've got the same issue after formatting the hard drive and reinstalling windows.  I know there is a fix for it, as I fixed it on my original installation and recall that I had to do it again when I replaced my hard drive.  I originally got the fix from the old site, and I vaguely recall it had something to do with disabling some USB function in device manager, but I can't remember it and an internet search hasn't pulled it up. If anybody remembers that fix I would greatly appreciate it, because the high pitched noise is really annoying.

Thanks,

Julie

kf_man

I never bothered with that fix, I always just installed Notebook Hardware Control and it seemed to take care of it.  I believe the fix was to turn off power management for the Bluetooth controller or the USB controller it was attached to.  You can get that option in the Device Manager properties for each device.  Let me know if you can't figure it out and I'll try to elaborate more.