News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

My HD just died, need a replacement

Started by carmalcoz, August 25, 2006, 12:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carmalcoz

The 60G HD of my x1001us just died this morning, according to the technician it was painless :( Now that I've lost my hd and my info what is the best replacement for my laptop's hd considering I use it mostly for torrent. Thanks in advance for any comment.

kf_man

You can basically replace it with any laptop 2.5" EIDE hard drive.  Make sure it's not SATA (the type should be clearly noted) and the replacement process takes only a few minutes.  Basically you just take out the two screws from the hard drive cover on the bottom and pull up.  The hard drive is attached to the cover and you will need some small screw drivers to get access and remove the drive (they are all philips head and I use a precision screwdriver set to do the work).  The original drive has an adaptor that looks like a piece of plastic with some pins on it.  Make sure you keep this adapter and be very careful not to break it.  Even when the laptop was more popular, the adapter was nearly impossible to get.  You will be able to see better what I mean if you compare the current drive with the new one.  On the new drive there will be lots of little pins right on the edge and on the old one there will be an extra plastic adaptor attached.

As far as purchasing, a lot of places have them, but I usually shop at Newegg.

carmalcoz

Thanks kf_man :). I was quoting hard drives price yesterday, some tech guy told that the presario couldnt work with a hd above for what it was designed (that is 60gb) is it right? Because there's a good offer for a Seagate 100g 5400rpm that I would like to take. Thanks in advance for any comment.

kf_man

Well, from what I've heard, any EIDE drive will work just fine.  I've had the same drive you mentioned for almost two years and it's great drive and works flawlessly.  I will include a direct link for clarity to the Retail kit, but an OEM drive would work as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822146223

carmalcoz

Hi kf_man, I ended up buying the 100G Seagate hard drive and it's working just fine, it is a good upgrade (~US$157). BTW, you know if the torrent downloads may spoil a hard drive? My transfer rate is about D:42kbps / U:12kbps. Thanks in advance for any comment.

kf_man

I don't believe so, you really should be fine.  I do all sorts of hard drive intensive stuff with my laptop and other computers and I don't see anything detrimental.  Most drives aren't designed to last anyway.  If you are concerned at all, please be sure to keep things backed up in case of failure.  That's just generally good advice, so don't worry about the drive too much.