News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

Screen + Heating Problem

Started by sepandee, August 04, 2006, 02:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sepandee

Specs at the bottom
Two... well, actually 3 different issues:

1. What happened to x1000forums.com?

2. My laptop has recently started to play with my temper (and that's a bad thing). When I turn it on or restart from hybernate, if often shows a grey screen. I can tell, by the green lights at the bottom of my computer, that everything is loading. I can even log in to windows, hear the windows start sound and everything, but the screen is just completely grey. I need to turn off my laptop and turn it back on SEVERAL TIMES before the screen is restored to normal. What's going on?

3. My laptop is starting to produce too much heat. Before, I used to put it on my legs without any problem. Now, I can't, because it gets too hot. Why is this happening, and what can I do to make it cooler?

Thanks.

HP Pav zt3000
1.7Ghz
768MB RAM
598MHz
60GB HD 5400RPM

alden

you have to buy new inverter
cost $35-45 on eBay

sepandee

Being a noob that I am:

What is an inverter? What's the problem with the screen? And what about the heat?

kf_man

Quote from: sepandee on August 04, 2006, 02:40:54 PM1. What happened to x1000forums.com?

Well, this one is pretty easy.  Basically the original owner/operator setup the forum while he had his X1000 and then sold it eventually.  He did leave the forums up, but didn't keep up with them and left them in a sort of disrepair as far as patches go.  This made the forum an easy target for hackers with well-known exploits.  Eventually weird posts started showing up on the forum supposedly from his account "Flashram" and most people started to worry what would happen.  It was obvious that someone had taken over his account and eventually the people/person shutdown the site and corrupted the database.  Since Flashram had little involvement, he didn't really notice or care what had happened to the forum and even after many attempts to contact him, I got little reply.  He eventually took a stab at getting the site going again, but with an older database, probably at least 6 months old, and much of the important information was lost forever.  He did upgrade the site software at that time to prevent further attacks, but eventually that version became outdated and the forum was hacked yet again.  This time is was much more sudden and all that could be seen were MySQL error messages.  Eventually the site registration ran out and was taken over by one of the domain parking organizations.

Anyway, throughout the whole saga, I contacted Flashram numerous times and I offered to take over the domain/hosting/forums, but was met with nothing but a shrug.  It was obvious that he didn't have any concern about the forum anymore and I eventually gave up.  He did a great job back in the good days of the X1000 Forums, but lost interest in it.  After the first set of forums failed, I setup this forum on my home webserver in hopes to preserve some of the most important information and set out to repopulate it from Google Cache.  I tried my best on that, but with little contribution from others and little time, I eventually had to stop.  It was also getting hard to remember what posts existed and eventually the Google Cache emptied out and that was the end of that.

Sorry for the long reply, but I hope this has answered the question for you.

Mybookisdead

Thank you kf_man, thank you for your hard work to re-launch this forum.

kf_man

Haha, it's no problem, you can really thank my last summer job.  I was doing tech support at my university and had plenty of spare time.  I ended up doing all sorts of Ubuntu server experimentation before getting it all done.  This isn't the most reliable setup in the world, but it's extremely cheap so I have little reason to shutdown the site.  As far as I can see, this site will remain up forever.  That's a little unrealistic, but at this point it costs me nothing to keep running.

alden

Sepandee

for an example please see eBay item #8830887758

good luck.