News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

Disk Upgrade

Started by AussieRules, July 24, 2005, 04:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AussieRules

I'd like to upgrade my drive from 60G to something larger. Are all notebook hard drives the same these days in terms of interface connections? Presently, I have a Hitachi Travelstar which I believe is ATA-5. Can I just go to Best Buy or somewhere and get a Seagate ATA-100 replacement drive? I'm assuming if the pin outs are the same, the bus will fall back to ATA-5 transfer rates.

Thanks!

kf_man

I have the Seagate 100GB drive.  It's very nice and it has very standard connections.  Note that there is a drive adapter attached to the old drive, so don't lose it!  Carefully remove the adapter and use it on the new drive.  Other than that, any new notebook drive should work just fine.

nbdyknws01

@kf_man

thanks for the info about the adapter it was a great help.
I changed the first time the hd from a notebook today .... and was wondering wy its not working   :roll:

was looking for help via google and found this forum and this topic

just wanted to say thanks

kf_man

No problem at all, I'm glad I could help you out with that.  Thanks for stopping by and you should check out the original X1000 Forums at http://www.x1000forums.com/.