News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

High Definition Content on X1000 (1920x1200)

Started by lmstr, July 18, 2008, 03:19:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmstr

Hello everyone,

I just found this forum again, great that its back.

I've got a x1000 running great.  Battery life is still good ~3-4 hours without DVD/Gaming.
7200 rpm harddrive
1.5 gigs of ram
1.5 ghz pentium m.
1920x1200 display, looks great no dead pixels! @ 5 years! (got it August 2003)

So I was thinking...I originally was planning on upgrading to a new Sony laptop when I started to wonder if my little x1000 could display HD content.  I know you can buy USB and Notebook Card HD Tuners...the question is...would it be remotely worth it...and the other big question, if I bought a Notebook Blueray Disc Player could I get it to work on my X1000.  I'm assuming I'd need some type of uber software decoder...but considering my screen is 1920x1200 I could concievably display good looking 1080p content.

I'd be willing to snaggle a dothan 2.0ghz, and upgrade to 3 gigs of ram if it meant I could do the above.....what do you guys think...possible or not worth my time?

-lmstr

kf_man

I seriously doubt that it would work, the biggest downfall being the ATI Radeon 9000 card.  Even with 64MB, that had a hard time playing even 720p content.  That said, even my current thinkpad still has a problem playing HD content at times.  Maybe someone else can weigh in on this.

lmstr

From the impression I get from most websites discussing BR playback it requires a powerful processor and a powerful video card.  Though I think a Dothan 2.0 would be powerful enough I do*not* think a Raedon 9200 will be powerful enough...looks like I'm going to hold off...its too bad...That screen is still looking good too!

rurabe

sorry for the late reply

I still have all the stock components in my x1000 with the wuxga screen. Playing 720p mkv files is a bit of a stretch for this machine... its not really up to it. Not sure how the upgrades would affect this.