News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

X1010 Ram and Video Upgrade

Started by Gladiator2k, September 01, 2007, 02:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gladiator2k

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and found that most of my questions have already been answered but I have 2 specific questions.

I have factory settings on my X1010US model (Intel M Processor 1.3, 512 mb RAM, 32 MB Ati Radeon Mobility, 60 GB HDD) Am I missing any other important info?

First, I am looking to upgrade Ram for my X1010 but I cannot find the exact model. I have 512mb right now and I am thinking about adding another 512 (would this make a significant difference for watching videos and programs?) or a 1GB ram. I know I need a PC 2700 but I'm not sure about bus speed 333hz? If someone could let me know which model I should be looking for and how much I would need to pay for 512 or 1GB that would be great as there are soo many different companies and speeds I'm not sure which one is the most compatible for my system...

I dont really play games on my laptop, just 3D modeling and other graphics heavy programs and more importantly, I watch tons of DVDs and movies. This goes in conjunction with my second question.

Second, I am really looking to upgrade my graphics card ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 (although factory specs say its supposed to be a 9200 and its 32mb). Does anyone have any recommendations and also what is the max as far as MB for graphics card for this machine and ease of installation of another graphics card?

Long post, but hopefully someone can help me upgrade my laptop without spending too much money as I really love my laptop! Much thanks in advance...

Lomnica_city

A2Q#1:
I was also using my X1005EA for rendering and movies,and the memory upgrade helped with the general performance (I had an older revision motherboard so my chipset only accepted PC2100 memory at that speed no matter which memory I put in,so you could use PC2700 or faster,but the motherboard will bring it down to PC2700 speed anyway),but I believe that you would also gain a lot by swaping that Banias@1.3 for a Dothan@1.73 or 1.86 or 2.0... and that would also be good for your battery too,it will last about 20% longer or so (Banias"drinks"25W of juice and Dothan only 21W)!
A2Q#2:
You can't swap your video card for a better model,you could only upgrade to a 64MB ATI Mobility 9200 and maybe keep that one as a spare one since you probably know that they ALL die after some time,but the chalenge for you would be to find a working 64MB ATI Mobility 9200,there are some on ebay ocasionaly,but mostly refurbished so It might work for months and even years,or it might not work at all,scam is a posibility on ebay!
Pozdrav from Serbia
Zoki

rzracer

I'll secong the CPU upgrade.  I also has a 1.3 Banias and found a 1.7 Dothan for $32 on Ebay.  SuperPi 1m went from 111 secconds to 48.  Make sure you get a 400Mhz FSB CPU though (ie 1.7, 1.8,1.9 ect), not a 1.73 or 1.86, those are 533 FSB.

Lomnica_city

That's not a complete answer,the seller can make an error and call his model a 1,8GHz Dothan,he buys the thing,and realizes that it's infact 1,86GHz or FSB533 Dothan!!
The right way to spot the 400FSB models is the numbers on the package/processor,he should only buy the ones that end with 5,meaning Dothan 745,or Dothan 755 or Dothan 765,that way he will get it right the first time!!
Pozdrav from Serbia
Zoki