News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

System Does Not Boot Anymore

Started by miatared94, June 10, 2006, 10:43:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miatared94

Hey,

I was just surfing the internet and then I got my first ever BSOD.  The system restarts itself, pauses on the main Compaq screen, three long beeps later, I get a message saying "Fixed Disk Parameter Table or BIOS Error System Halted".  What happened and what can I do to fix it?  Thanks.

kf_man

The first thing to try would be to just pull out the hard drive and put it back in.  I believe this is the same message I got one time and that fixed it.  If that doesn't work, the harddrive may need to be replaced.  I don't believe this is a "very serious" problem like others have had since harddrives are easily replaced by the end user.  I noticed that when the hard disk has a problem, the BIOS is also not accessible so see if you can get into it using F10.  Anyway, see how reseating the harddrive goes and report back.

akshata

I have the same issue too.  Anyone has any suggestion.  I tried removing battery and re-inserting but still same error.   I get 3 beeping noise before the message is displayed with "System halted" error.

Any input is appreciated.  I am more worried about the data I have as compared to the hard-drive failure.  Also if it is truly harddrive failure, any suggestion on where to buy the HDD?

Thanks

kf_man

Most likely it is a harddrive failure or a loose connection.  Try removing and reinstalling the hard drive to make sure the connections are good.  If that doesn't work, I would go to Newegg and get a 2.5" harddrive enclosure like this.  That way at least you can see what data you can get off the drive.  It may be nothing, but for less than $20 it would be worth it.  You can also buy another harddrive from there, it needs to be a 2.5" Parallel ATA harddrive.  I can be up to 7200RPM without problem.

TallGuy2007

Moderator Edit:  Please don't multiple post!

http://x1000.kylefarnung.com/index.php/topic,143.msg622.html#msg622