News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

Black screen issue - please describe

Started by dok_indo, June 15, 2006, 04:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dok_indo

Could anyone please describe the black screen issue for me?  I would like to understand whether this is a progressive problem or does it happen all of a sudden.  If it is progressive what are the symptoms, timecourse, etc?

Today my screen went black, and there was no response to any keys - including Ctrl-alt-del.  I power cycled and it has been fine since.  Is this the dreaded black screen problem?  I saw some threads on fixes but I am not sure if this is what I have?

Thanks.

kf_man

I have never had the problem, but it seems like it happens mostly on boot.  This may be an early indication of a failure or it could just be a fluke.  Did you do anything special to get the computer to boot again or did it just do it on its own?  I would just keep an eye on it and see if anyone else has a better suggestion for diagnosing the problem.

dok_indo

The computer had been on for several hours when this happened, so hopefully it is not the same problem.  I was able to turn it off by holding down the power key and then turn it on using the power key again.  It hasn't happened again but I am now hypervigilant.

Thanks for your help.