News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

My CDROM drive just died, need a replacement

Started by carmalcoz, September 27, 2006, 07:54:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carmalcoz

First was the hd drive now it's the dvd/cdrw drive, what next?. For now I just want to know if I can upgrade my x1001us (DK575A) with a DVDRW drive? thanks in advance.

kf_man

You can easily upgrade the drive, but the bezel will be the real issue.  Sometimes if you buy a drive from the same manufacturer they will use the same bezel, other times not so much.  One of the old forum members made a bunch of bezels for the NEC DVDRW, but they are long gone now.  Most drives will fit, but they will leave a gap on the edges.  I haven't replaced mine so I'm not really sure which are good and which are not.

carmalcoz

QuoteMost drives will fit, but they will leave a gap on the edges.
yeah, I know, it will be tedious task to find the right one. My local HP service office want me to pay US$280 plus taxes, NO WAY!... do you know a good online spot to start my searching? Thanks in advance.

kf_man

I would check out Newegg personally.  I know people have had luck with the slot-loading drive even though they don't look good.  What brand drive do you currently have?