News:

Registration disabled.  This forum is in maintenance mode (and has been for a few years now), so I've disabled registration.  If you already have an account, great, keep using it.  If not, unfortunately I won't be accepting any new registrations.  At some point in the near future this forum will be shutting down forever.

Main Menu

NX7000 won't keep the time and date

Started by vesa, August 31, 2006, 09:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vesa

The power button of my NX7000 got broken and I sent the computer to service. They changed power button and motherboard.

I usually don't keep the battery in computer when the computer is on my desk. And I remove the power cord when the computer is off. After they changed motherboard, Windows started sayin "The time or date on your system is invalid. Please use the date/time applet in the Control Panel to properly set your system time and date." at startup, when I have had the power cord unplugged. The time is not setting to same date/time when I unplug the computer, now it's at January 4th 1980, so the time is saved somewhere, but I don't know where.

I didn't find date/time setting in bios like on my desktop computers, so couldn't set it there. I kept battery/power cord connected for about a week so the battery on motherboard could charge if there is one, but it didn't help.

What can I do? I don't want to keep the battery inside computer all the time or power cord connected. Is there some place where I can set the bios date/time? I will call HP also, but maybe someone has a suggestion here.

vesa

Ok, of course I found HP support document for this after posting here. It is called HP Notebook PCs - Computer Clock Is Losing Time, and I tried the Method 4: Remove and reinstall Realtime clock. At least after first try the time stayed, I hope it'll stay after longer time too. I will have it unplugged for the day and see if the time is still correct when I come from work.

vesa

HP's page didn't help, when I started the computer the date was january 3rd 1980 and time was 23:00. I probably should call the support.

kf_man

If you have a warranty, definately do.  I have never heard of this issue before and most likely it has to do with the motherboard replacement.

vesa

I sent my computer back to them on tuesday, got it back on thursday, they changed the mother board again. Now it seems to be working. Warranty ends today. Hopefully this computer works for years now.

mikebetz42

There is a RTC battery the size of a large watch battery in the notebook. This keeps the time/date and BIOS settings... Did this give you a BIOS Setup error as well?

There is a small trap door on the bottom that reviles this battery about the size of a nickle.